Press Fit BB

y2keable
y2keable Posts: 349
edited April 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
My stumpy is my first bike with a PF30 BB and due to some side to side play, it's time to replace it.

Really, how much of a chew on are they to extract and fit? I've never taken a bike to a shop to have ANY work done in my life but this looks like the worst type of engineering design and there aren't even any tools that make the job look easy.

I'm happy to have a go if enough people tell me its not the fart on that it looks but this may be one thing I take it to a LBS for.

Cheers
<hr noshade size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><b><font color="black">Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, stay down. </font id="black"><font color="red"> Embrase pain.</font id="red"></b></font id="Book Antiqua">
<hr noshade size="1">
[:D] Paying close attention to my mental hygeine. [:D]

Comments

• JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    LBS unless you have a press/correct tool I think....also avoid using the standard SRAM bb, they aren't very good, fit one with replaceable bearings like Hope or Wheels Manufacturing, that way next time it will be very quick and cheap to replace the bearings. LBS shouldn't charge much to replace the BB, half hour - 45 mins max.
  • y2keable
    y2keable Posts: 349
    Cheers bud. I think I know where this'll be going.

I called in at my LSB for a quote which was £15, I didn't think that was too shabby.
    <hr noshade size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><b><font color="black">Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, stay down. </font id="black"><font color="red"> Embrase pain.</font id="red"></b></font id="Book Antiqua">

<hr noshade size="1">
    [:D] Paying close attention to my mental hygeine. [:D]
  • buffoon
    buffoon Posts: 49
    I had exactly the same issue last year and it cost me £50 to get a new PF30 BB fitted at my LBS! Like you, it's the only thing I don't feel confident about replacing. Looks like you could easily damage the frame if you are a bit kak-handed. But on the other hand, they also look like they need a fair amount of force to get them out/in. By contrast, I recently replaced my commuter bike conventional threaded BB for a grand total of £10, and it was a doddle to do myself.

So I hate press-fit BB's with a passion! They offer no tangible benefits and plenty of headaches. Thankfully, Specialized (and others) are reverting to threaded BB's on new bikes.

Anyway, I'm stuck with my bike now, so very curious to know if you genuinely got it done for only £15?
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Buy an aftermarket PF BB and just change the bearings, no need to keep fitting a whole new BB
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    I have just had the BB in my Trance replaced with a Wheels Manufacturing threaded jobbie.
    Cost me £52 fitted but in future, as mentioned above, I will just have to change the bearings for a few quid.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009