Bell Super 3R or Giro Switchblade??

Rookie1986
Rookie1986 Posts: 153
edited March 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hey guys,

Long time since I've posted, hope everyone is ok :)

I'm in the market for a new helmet and I was thinking of opting for something that offers some face protection as my riding has changed over the last year. I'd still want the option to remove the chin bar hence the Bell Super 3R and Giro Switchblade.

I've tried both helmets on and the fit is indifferent, so I'm hoping some of you guys who have first hand riding experience with these helmets could give me some advice on which you would favour.

Or, is there something else out there which might be worth a look??

Cheers guys,

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Why not use an normal trail helmet when you don't need full face protection and a proper full face when you need one.
    I've tried these semi full face helmets and didn't think they were particularly good open face or full face.
  • kirby700
    kirby700 Posts: 458
    I really rate the bell super 2r. I'm never gonna be hitting the really big stuff on my bike but when the need for additional safety I just unclip from my back pack and clip it in. Takes about 2 mins.
    I know they aren't as good as a dedicated full face but at least you breathe in these.
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
    NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • rockmonkeysc
    kirby700 wrote:
    I know they aren't as good as a dedicated full face but at least you breathe in these.

Can you not breathe in a proper full face? I've done 40 minute alpine descents in my Fox Rampage carbon and definitely didn't suffocate. Didn't over heat either despite the hot weather.
  • kirby700
    Struggle in them going back up. Cant seem to get enough air in.
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • rockmonkeysc
    Maybe you've never tried a good one. These days I rarely wear a full face unless I'm on proper downhill trails. I prefer the feeling of riding in a open helmet.
  • kirby700
    Giro cipher as my full face.
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • rockmonkeysc
    Now I understand. They're fairly poorly ventilated helmets
  • kirby700