CAAD10 105

fat daddy
fat daddy Posts: 2,605
edited April 2017 in Road buying advice
I made the mistake the other day of taking my nice road bike in to work ...... it was awesome, the speed, the acceleration, the fun !

But .... I don't want to commute on it every day as it will get trashed in the lock up, the grime off the roads etc etc ... but I also don't want to ride the Hybris in every day as its heavy and slow in comparison ... although the panniers are nice for the days I need to carry all my sh1te.

So I have been looking at second hand, aggressive road bikes that I can commute (read that as race) to work.

Just seen a CAAD 10 105 in a shop for £600 .... its aluminium, its my size, weighs about 8.5kg .... is there anything better for the money, or shall I just get the caad10 and save up for something lighter than the rs10s on it ?

TL;DR - is the caad10 105 a decent bike to ride like a stole it for £600 ? - needs are Light and fast and Cheap

Comments

• dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Never ridden one but I ride a Supersix and always had one on my list. At £600 that is a ridiculous deal - is it new? The frameset was sold for that amount alone, add in £300+ for 105.

Don't think you can beat it at that price.
  • fat daddy
    no, its not new ... but given it a look over and it seems like it hasn't had much use, all original arts, BB30 is quiet as a mouse.
  • I had a CAAD10 when they first dropped, had dura ace and Enve wheels on it.

Highly recommended for thrashing.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • fat daddy
    That's good news .... it's being bought for thrashing ... shame about the rs10s though, was hoping with a used bike that some one would have sorted the wheels out before I got there .... then again I run roval sl25s on my s-works ... so perhaps I won't notice
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Haven't read/heard anything but good reviews about them.

Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it now.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    Buy it.
    I've got a 2011 CAAD 10 105 which I use as my winter bike and it's great. I've got raceblades on it, HUNT 4 season wheels with tubeless tyres and have just replaced the old 10sp 105 with 11 sp.

You may find the ride to be a bit unforgiving depending on what you are used to, but it's a wonderful, wonderful bike to ride - I love mine and can't imagine ever selling it.

Full disclosure, I'm a fan of CAADs. I had an EVO Supersix di2 summer bike but I sold that last year and replaced it with a CAAD 12 Ultegra - and yes I much prefer it.
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    600 for a '10 in good nick is a bargain. Grab it.
  • fat daddy
    Thanks for the positive advice .... I am now £600 less well off ! :D
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    fat daddy wrote:
    Good man, show us the pics :wink:
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • fat daddy
    I pick it up on Monday .. couldn't take it today as I have panniers of crap to take home on the commuter .. and until zwift invents a Ben Hur workout to ride 2 bikes I cant train for it.

I did notice though the previous owner has swapped out the BB30 for something else beginning with "p" that looks like it screws together .. so looks like bearing replacement is doable !!!!

I'll get some pics up
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Praxis works.....?
  • fat daddy
    that's the one .... dunno if its acceptable but going on the amount of BB30 complains on the internet can it be any worse ?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    fat daddy wrote:

pics or it didnt happen
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    fat daddy wrote:
    that's the one .... dunno if its acceptable but going on the amount of BB30 complains on the internet can it be any worse ?

having ridden several Cervelo and supersix with BB30 when I got my R5 i didnt even bother, went straight for a praxis convertor to 68 with rotor cranks and praxis rings, insanely smooth, gives me goose bumps its so cool 8)
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    fat daddy wrote:
    That's good news .... it's being bought for thrashing ... shame about the rs10s though, was hoping with a used bike that some one would have sorted the wheels out before I got there .... then again I run roval sl25s on my s-works ... so perhaps I won't notice

My RS10s will be 10 years old come September. OK, they've been on the summer bike for the last 3 of them but they were ridden year round till then. Wear indicators still visible (just), one change of bearings, one rear spoke which was probably chewed when the chain went over the back of the cassette. They've survived many wrist-numbing potholes in the dark and only occasionally needed a spoke key.

So they may be older wheels from the budget end of Shimano's range, but they are pretty durable.

YMMV though, quite literally.
  • itboffin
    i have a set of those too and i agree with everything you've said in fact the only problem i had was a broken spoke, i took the wheel to my local excellent wheel builder he actually said they're very well made for factory wheels and reliable, i pick mine up for £70
  • Looking forward to some pictures.
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    fat daddy wrote:

3 BB30/PF30 bikes on the road and a stack of miles on each, with nary a squeak, click or skronk. Problems are vastly overstated. Good bearings, good fitting and decent maintenance takes care of it. Plus a CAAD needs a hollowgram.
  • fat daddy
    Suppose that people only tend to complain about things on the internet. So I will hear the bad side of the bb30 .... it's difficult not to buy into it
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    I went with a Praxis and Shimano 105 chainset when I replaced the full 105 groupset ND so for it seems great - although I didn't really have ANY problems with the previous BB30.