Home workstand

vrsmatt
vrsmatt Posts: 160
edited March 2017 in Workshop
I need a home workstand, I've seen a Park PC-9 for around £75

Has anybody got any experiences or recommendations?

Cheers
Giant TCR Composite 1, Giant Defy Advanced 2, Boardman Comp, Santa Cruz Heckler, Raleigh M-Trax Ti, Strida LT, Giant Halfway

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I have a PC9. - have used it for years. I also have two at work for the mountain bikes there.

Bombproof, really good to use - stable, clamps fine, etc etc.

Well recommended.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620
    Worth considering the PCS10 as well if you can stretch to it. Bit more user friendly in terms of the clamping mechanism.
  • vrsmatt
    Cheers guys.

I've seen a few cheaper ones but i love stuff that will last me a long time if I look after it so I guess i'll end up with the park as its good value at that price
    Giant TCR Composite 1, Giant Defy Advanced 2, Boardman Comp, Santa Cruz Heckler, Raleigh M-Trax Ti, Strida LT, Giant Halfway
  • mostly
    mostly Posts: 113
    I do find the clamp on the pcs9 a pain in the backside in terms of rotating, in hindsight I'd have spent a bit more given the amount of use it gets.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620
    VRSMatt wrote:
    Cheers guys.

I've seen a few cheaper ones but i love stuff that will last me a long time if I look after it so I guess i'll end up with the park as its good value at that price

Yeah, that was my thinking when I bought the PCS10. It's a bit of kit that will get a huge amount of use over the years (we have 3 bikes in the household and I use it both for maintenance and cleaning them) so best to spend a bit more and get something that won't irritate you every time you use it. The Park stands are super robust.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    Yep. Had mine for around 5 years now. Built like a tank but folds down and fits nicely into a corner.

I'd echo the comments above about the clamp not rotating easily but I only tend to clamp to seatposts so it's not a problem.
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    If you can stretch another £25 go for the PCS-10, Its going to last you a long time!
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I have the Tacx T3350 Spider Team work stand. If you shop around you can pick them up for £99. I got mine from Decathlon for just that amount. I sold my old Park Tool PRS-21 as, whilst it was a great stand, it was very heavy. The Tax one in comparison is far lighter, but also sturdy.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • I bought the pcs10 a while back, it's okay if you're not too tall. Put a mountain bike on and I have to drop the height as the joint on the main tube starts to bend!! Good how it folds up though. Might treat myself and get the PRS 3.2-2.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    GrenW wrote:
    Yep. Had mine for around 5 years now. Built like a tank but folds down and fits nicely into a corner.

I'd echo the comments above about the clamp not rotating easily but I only tend to clamp to seatposts so it's not a problem.

This re clamp - I keep and old pair of MTB handlebars on one side, clamp them in and use them as leverage to move the clamp.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    Aldi have a bike repair stand as a Special Buy this Sunday (19/3) for £29.99 or you can order online before. Not tried myself but they seem to have good reviews in the past.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    +1 for the PCS-9. As bomb proof as home mechanics (and probably most professionals as well, in all honesty) are likely to need. Looks even more substantial in the flesh than the pictures suggest. I thought the legs looked a bit spindly when I looked at it online, they are in fact about 1.5" diameter tubulars and the whole device is a dawdle to use. One of the best bits of cycling kit I own....and I own quite a lot :oops:
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • vrsmatt
    It's arrived, I used it yesterday and it's an excellent bit of kit, if not a trifle large to store!

Really happy with it