Cycle Republic Cheltenham

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited April 2017 in Road general
Friend told me there is a Cycle Republic opening in town next month.

Are they any good?
Guessing they are a bit like Evans, but in town, not industrial estate on outskirts.

Comments

• fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Their shop is not as good as Evans ... nit quite the amount of stuff or the quality ... yes they stock the likes of Kask and pinarello but it's more Boardman and basso than cannondale and trek

Never used the service centre but the Boardman I bought from there was put together fine.

Customer service is as you would expect from a modern highstreet store
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Never heard of them. However, I have a couple of days off work next week. I'll have a look.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Whilst it's always good to have another bricks and mortar bike shop available, aren't they just Halfords under another name?

Fat Daddy - It's interesting what you say about stock levels in Evans as I have always thought that my nearest branch was pretty poor in that regard - loads of rack space for clothes but a pretty limited supply. They also have a pretty good selection of shoes on display but try asking for a particular size and prepare to be disappointed as I was (and I am not unusually small or large at a 44). Nowadays, if I want to buy from Evans, I either call first or 'click and collect' (and always price match).
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • It's Halfords without engine oil ....
  • Websta24
    Websta24 Posts: 162
    I bought my bike off them last year. A pretty good outfit to be fair.

The Norwich store manager told me that although they are owned by Halford's they do not use the name or even associate themselves with them. If they did, brands such as Kask wouldn't allow them to be distributors!

They certainly seem more switched on than your average Halfords store, and they sell some lovely bikes. I got a great deal on my Pinarello from them...but as with an LBS, they can be cheap on some things and much more expensive on others!
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,591
    How many bike shops can Cheltenham support?

I'd have thought they had every base well covered - Williams for generic, Evans for the lazy, Leisure Lakes right in the centre, the excellent independant Cheltenham Cycles, I assume Roylans is still open for the dated stuff and Halfords a stones throw from town too. Seems daft?
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • Anonymous
    Its the old Blockbuster/Morrison's site I think, so pretty large shop in town, but with parking.

Hopefully they will have junior road bikes, as none of the other shops in town, Including 'the excellent Cheltenham cycles' (who told me to put my 10 year old daughter on an adults bike :shock: ) and Williams (who denied they even existed :roll: ) sold them at the time.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,591
    Carbonator wrote:
    Its the old Blockbuster/Morrison's site I think, so pretty large shop in town, but with parking.

Thats directly opposite Cheltenham Cycles? Wow ...

Gives you an alternative if you felt disserved.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • Anonymous
    CarbonClem wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:

Thats directly opposite Cheltenham Cycles? Wow ...

Gives you an alternative if you felt disserved.

Or just want hassle free, free parking.
    New shops staff might smile a bit too 8)
  • de_sisti
    That (old Blockbuster) place doesn't have much parking (if we're talking about the place opposite Cheltenham Cycles.
    Morrisons is located on the opposite side of town to Cheltenham Cycles.
  • Anonymous
    De Sisti wrote:
    That (old Blockbuster) place doesn't have much parking (if we're talking about the place opposite Cheltenham Cycles.
    Morrisons is located on the opposite side of town to Cheltenham Cycles.

??? It has loads of free parking. I have lived in Cheltenham for years and have never once had a problem parking there.
    There are always spaces available so not sure how you can dispute the parking advantage the new store will have.

Its private parking for the three stores there, so infinitely more free private parking right outside than any other bike store in town.

Blockbuster Video (wow what a difference) became a Morrisons Local before now (I think) about to become a Cycle Republic.
  • de_sisti
    Carbonator wrote:
    It has loads of free parking. I have lived in Cheltenham for years and have never once had a problem parking there.
    There are always spaces available so not sure how you can dispute the parking advantage the new store will have.
    How dare I have the temerity to also live in Cheltenham and the audacity to have an opinion that differs from yours. :roll:
  • tootsie323
    tootsie323 Posts: 199
    Depends on what your idea of 'loads' is! If the store becomes popular, that 'free' parking will be at a premium.
    Interesting that they have set up right opposite Cheltenham Cycles. I purchased my last two (hardtail) bikes from there and have always been happy with the service.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    If only there was some way of getting to a cycle shop without using a car ? Nope. Can't think of anything. Sorry.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    The problem with that site is that the management have a well deserved reputation for enthusiastically enforcing parking rules. If a car owner dares to set foot off site then their car can get clamped, the local paper used to be filled with complaints but the management remain robustly unapologetic. With CC being opposite i foresee quite a few riders being tempted to pop over the road...could make for an expensive day.

Oh well, I am perfectly happy with Cheltenham Cycles and Leisure Lakes, particularly given the club discount at both, and have no intention of funding some soulless competition.
  • Anonymous
    De Sisti wrote:
    How dare I have the temerity to also live in Cheltenham and the audacity to have an opinion that differs from yours. :roll:

Absolutely no problem with you having a different opinion to mine, but you have not said what it is based on?

I just found your opinion surprisingly different to my own long term experience.
    Have you ever seen the place full and people not be able to park there then?

Bobbinogs is quite right about the historic enforcement though.
    I thought it was not so brutal these days, but rules is rules and free parking with fair rules is better than no free parking IMO.

Not sure what you mean about 'Dares to set foot off the site' Bobbinogs.
    Do you think its ok to abuse a shops (three in this case) free parking then?
    If CC had a free parking space for its customers, would it be ok to park there and then bugger off to Greggs for a steak bake?

If people choose to break the parking rules then they deserve a ticket IMO.
    You could always treat the shops there like any others in town (inc. CC) and either not drive in, or park elsewhere.

The new shop will just have to make sure their customers have no need to pop over the road for anything.

They will hopefully be happy, friendly and helpful at least, even if lacking in the soul dept.
    Customers will have a choice and can pick the establishment they prefer.

It's the hour limit that may be an issue for people buying a bike though perhaps.