Giant Defy - Cable to Hydro

vrsmatt
vrsmatt Posts: 160
edited March 2017 in Workshop
Hi

I have a 2015 Giant Defy Advanced 2 (105 with TRP discs), whilst the discs are great I have had a little off and broken the right hand shifter, whilst looking for a replacement i was offered a set of RS-505 Shifters and 685 Calipers for not a lot of a mate who bought a bike whole to break for the frame. Lucky me

i was wondering if anyone has any experience of the swap i'm about to do?

My inexperience is with the internal cable routing;

1) I need to run new gear cables is this a case of pulling the old one out, and threading a new one through?
2) I assume the brakes will be simpler...just a case of removing the cables/outers and threading the new hydro hose through, reconnecting and bleeding? ( i'm happy working with the hose and the olives/barbs and bleeding as i have then on my mtb)
Giant TCR Composite 1, Giant Defy Advanced 2, Boardman Comp, Santa Cruz Heckler, Raleigh M-Trax Ti, Strida LT, Giant Halfway

Comments

• vrsmatt
    Ok, the plethora of replies has bowled me over lol

Job done with relative ease apart from one tricky part.

Gear cables are easy as there are liners through the frame which are attached at each end so all I did was unbolt the carrier under the bottom bracket, snip the gear cables just before they were clamped and pull through frame, feed new cables through, changed outers for completeness also.

Front brake doesn't go through the frame so that was easy.

Rear brake, this is an internal full length run of outer for the mech discs so it had to come out, easy enough, disconnect everything and haul it out. The difficulty is getting the new hose in place, after many failed attempts and nearlys where I could see the end of the hose but not get it where it needed to be I realised the job would be easy if ..........
    ........I removed the bottom bracket, which being a press fit was a pain in the arse, however once out, just feeed the hose through the side of the headtube down to bb, you can then point it along the chainstay and out it pops in the right place. Connect it all up, bleed and bobs your uncle.
    Giant TCR Composite 1, Giant Defy Advanced 2, Boardman Comp, Santa Cruz Heckler, Raleigh M-Trax Ti, Strida LT, Giant Halfway
  • compuwiz_uk
    compuwiz_uk Posts: 139
    i could be barking up the wrong tree here but could it have helped if you had left the old rear brake cable inner inplace ( removed the outer ) & then used the old inner as a guide for the hydro hose ( removing the inner once the hose was through ?? )

i dont know if its an option or doable etc & hopefully i never have to find out ( only internal router i have already has 505's with 785's as standard & i like em.
  • vrsmatt
    i could be barking up the wrong tree here but could it have helped if you had left the old rear brake cable inner inplace ( removed the outer ) & then used the old inner as a guide for the hydro hose ( removing the inner once the hose was through ?? )

i dont know if its an option or doable etc & hopefully i never have to find out ( only internal router i have already has 505's with 785's as standard & i like em.
    I did contemplate but didn't fancy a greasy inner inside my nice clean hydro hose
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    As a matter of interest, did you re-use the PF BB or did you fit a new one?
  • vrsmatt
    I used a new one, better safe than sorry
  • compuwiz_uk
    compuwiz_uk Posts: 139
    VRSMatt wrote:

I did contemplate but didn't fancy a greasy inner inside my nice clean hydro hose

good thought lol

OK, maybe remove the old bits but attach a run of sturdy sewing thread or string before you remove em & then that can be the guide for the new run - OK no use now but could help others ( inc myself should i ever need to try it lol )