Calling Wahoo Elemnt owners - re the Bolt

redvision
redvision Posts: 2,958
edited March 2017 in Road buying advice
Been using a Garmin 520 since it's launch but the last update to 11.0 has caused a few issues.
Following the launch of the Wahoo Elemnt Bolt yesterday i am now toying with the idea of switching from the 520 as i would like a less troublesome device. I understand that a new Garmin (530??) will be launched in the coming weeks but i full anticipate it will come with a host of bugs and issues....hence why i'm considering the Bolt.

I appreciate there are very limited reviews of the Bolt (seeing as it was only launched yesterday) but given that it is essentially a slimdown version of the Elemnt, i wondered what experiences of that device are like?
I am not over fussed with the mapping ability (i can't recall ever using it on my 520) but one thing i would want is live tracking. I have seen DCR criticise this feature on the Elemnt. Is it as poor as he suggests?

I have purchased two wahoo trainers in the last few months and both went back due to faults, so i am a bit wary of the build quality and reliability. How have people found this to be with the Elemnt?

Would appreciate any advice.

Ta

Comments

• alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    Very in depth review by DC Rainmaker
    https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/03/wah ... eview.html
  • redvision
    Alex222 wrote:
    Very in depth review by DC Rainmaker
    https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/03/wah ... eview.html

Thanks, DCR is always my first port of call for reviews and i read this last night. Although i must admit, recently i have not shared the same experience on some of the products which he has reviewed - i do wonder if the sample product the likes of DCR and Shane Miller get to review is not the standard off the shelf one ...
  • stevie63
    stevie63 Posts: 481
    I have an Elemnt which I bought to replace an edge 520. I much prefer it but that's because I use it for routing and it is much better at doing this. I have not ever bothered to use the live track feature but I know that the person viewing it just sees a static dot showing your current location. I have not had any issues with reliability but like all of these devices it does have certain quirks which may or may not annoy you.
  • Had my Elemnt for two weeks - love it!
    Knocks the spots off the Garmin, I've had both the Edge 800 & 1000,so very much better. UI is well thought out, app is nice and easy to use.
  • redvision
    Thanks for the quick replies.
    stevie63 wrote:
    I have not ever bothered to use the live track feature but I know that the person viewing it just sees a static dot showing your current location.

I assume this is overlayed on a map?

The livetrack is the most important thing for me really as the vast majority of my training is solo on country lanes.
  • stevie63
    stevie63 Posts: 481
    Yeah it is overlaid on a map, so it looks a little bit like the iPhone find a friend feature.
  • redvision
    stevie63 wrote:
    Yeah it is overlaid on a map, so it looks a little bit like the iPhone find a friend feature.

Cool, thanks

The more i read the more tempted i get. The 520 has been a good training aid but, as has become the norm with most of the Edge range, when Garmin release an update it breaks something else. It does seem that the Elemnt is a really popular device and similar update issues are not common.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    I wonder if Bolt would be usable by near extinct nutters like me who don't have Android or iTelephone
  • rs6mra1
    rs6mra1 Posts: 105
    If your concern is live tracking then with the 520 I believe it has to be linked to a phone via bluetooth. I am guessing its the same with the Bolt?
    I have an Edge 510 and the last time i had to be rescued roadside, I got my Google Nexus phone out, no signal, walked for 5 mins then sent my wife the co-ordinates of my location using Google Android's Hangout with the push of a single button. My wife uses an iphone and to my rescue she came................
  • sopworth
    sopworth Posts: 191
    I've been using an Elemnt for a few months and it has been brilliant. It replaced an old Garmin 800 and I won't be going near a Garmin again. You can see whats on the screen, regardless of weather. The mapping is much easier to read in 2 tone and the lights on the side for power, HR, Speed etc is really useful I've found.
    The best bit is being able to set up the unit from my iPhone and not having to fiddle around with the buttons on the unit - so, so much easier and makes changing the function of the unit very simple.
    I'd throughly recommend one.
  • Myhooose
    Myhooose Posts: 15
    Another happy Elemnt user here.
    Disappointed the new device was not called the BLT, what with their history of dropping vowels.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    Anyone know if the mount is the same as the Garmin quarter turn one?

My Canyon has the integrated aero bars/stem and I've got a mount from Canyon that fixes to underneath the bars and mounts the Edge out front. Would like to keep this setup but perhaps swap to a Bolt from my 510.

The alternative is to use the mount that comes with the Bolt but not sure whether it will clap to the oval bars.
  • noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    GrenW wrote:
    Anyone know if the mount is the same as the Garmin quarter turn one?

My Canyon has the integrated aero bars/stem and I've got a mount from Canyon that fixes to underneath the bars and mounts the Edge out front. Would like to keep this setup but perhaps swap to a Bolt from my 510.

The alternative is to use the mount that comes with the Bolt but not sure whether it will clap to the oval bars.
    The garmin mount isnt really compatible with the elemnt. You can make one fit with a bit of handywork with a scalpel but it's 90 degrees turned compared to an official elemnt mount. I love my elemnt and the only slight problem I've had is elevation compared to my garmin mates. That's not to say the garmin elevation figures are correct. Other than that I'd highly recommended it. Not sure I'd replace it with a bolt though. Some people find the elemnt a little on the large side but I'd prefer to see clearly at the expense of a little bulk.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • redvision
    Been reading more reviews. The impression i get is that the Bolt is a full challenger to the 520 and perhaps likely to become the more popular device. Garmin really need to step up with their next gps and cut out bugs in the devices & in updates!

The only disappointment i can see from the specs on the Bolt is the lack of compatibility with trainers apart from the kickrs. I understand why they have kept it all in house, but still, ability to control 3rd party turbo trainers from the device would be useful.

Has anyone found any UK stores selling the Bolt yet?
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    redvision wrote:
    Been reading more reviews. The impression i get is that the Bolt is a full challenger to the 520 and perhaps likely to become the more popular device. Garmin really need to step up with their next gps and cut out bugs in the devices & in updates!

The only disappointment i can see from the specs on the Bolt is the lack of compatibility with trainers apart from the kickrs. I understand why they have kept it all in house, but still, ability to control 3rd party turbo trainers from the device would be useful.

Has anyone found any UK stores selling the Bolt yet?

That's the one thing I hope... that this makes Garmin up its game. Their firmware and support is shocking bu there's been nowhere else to go until recently.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I've had a 510/810/520 and now ELEMNT and it's the best device by far. Awesome screen for all conditions and the LED lights for HR zones are fantastic I wouldn't be without them now.

Getting routes from RidewithGPS can be fiddly but it's all done wirelessly and the turn by turn is fantastic
  • Thick Mike
    Thick Mike Posts: 337
    Just bought one on a complete whim because I had a traumatic birthday!
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Thick Mike wrote:
    Just bought one on a complete whim because I had a traumatic birthday!

Good a reason as any!
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    anyone any ideas why the bolt is cheaper

ok so it seems to b e lacking the side LEDs and the screen is smaller ..... what about the battery, same one, or is this smaller as well .... I wonder what the battery life is on the bolt

wahoo are crap at selling stuff, its a real hastle with any of there products trying to find decent specs ..... that said I now own a Kickr snap, TickrX a cadence sensor and an elemnt ..... quite like them really !
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    The thing that puts me off wahoo is not the products (which seem pretty good) but that every new release is accompanied by astro turfing and hype on twitter, youtube, reddit, facebook etc from people who are not declaring that they have been given it for free.

DC Rainmaker is one of the few who is ethical and upfront about it - when he gets free kit to test (and it seems he usually sends it back too) most are not like that. Happens with other brands too and is just part of modern marketing but it puts me off buying.
  • I'm sorely tempted by the Bolt. I have the RFLKT and it's a great bit of kit (also use the Wahoo cadence/speed sensor).
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    I have had all the garmins over the years,i now have had the elemnt for a year, its far better than garmin and so easy to use imo.
    When the bolt comes out i will be getting that as its smaller than the elemnt.
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • redvision
    Well think i'm going to give it a shot, just got to wait for it to come in to stock in UK stores.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    After years of Garmin products, I've switched to Wahoo. I just can't be doing with the way Garmin persist in sticking a new device on the existing platform of firmware and messing up all the previous devices. With the release of the 1100 in April, things can only get worse. I looked at the Bolt, but the screen size is just too small to be of use to me and me being long sighted. The Elemnt does everything the Bolt does plus has the extra row of LED lights. The Bolt seems to just have a more aerodynamic shape and mount making it look prettier.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.