What is considered "Cheap" carbon fiber? Trying to decide on a bike

OUGrad05
OUGrad05 Posts: 15
edited March 2017 in Road buying advice
Hello all, as I try to narrow down my bike choices I keep reading things like Aluminium is a great material and shouldn't be ignored and that it's better than a "cheap" carbon frame.

What exactly does that mean? I'm looking at Trek Domane and Cannondale Synapse, perhaps a Roubaix as well...they all offer Carbon options, Trek and cannondale also have the alloy option. Is a Synapse considered a "cheap" carbon frame or is cheap carbon typically reserved for lower end manufacturers?

So many pro's/con's on alloy vs carbon I'm really thinking at some point I just pull the trigger and not look back no matter the frame material.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    Typically high end manufacturers offer a standard carbon version and a high modulus carbon version. The latter is a stiffer material and as such you need less of it... so you can achieve very light weight frames (800 grams and below) maintaining very high stiffness. That doesn't mean the standard carbon fibre is low quality... in fact I suspect it is a more durable material than the high modulus one, which is by definition more brittle
    left the forum March 2023
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    The current 'buzz' sentence is that a high end alu - beats a low end carbon.

But thats over simplistic - comfort comes more from the shape and angle of the frame and how well its fits you.

See if you can try some. Depends on what your ambitions are - in terms of need - a 105 groupset and a carbon frame is enough for most us !

I d go carbon but YMMV.
  • mostly
    mostly Posts: 113
    I rode the giant tcr 'basic' carbon and the trek alr 6, high end alu and couldn't detect a difference, both were excellent went for the tcr due to discount at the time. Wheels / tyres made more difference imo.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I ride a high end carbon bike, Trek Emonda SLR, this is their highest spec Emonda frame available to buy and uses by the Trek Segefrado team.
    Winter Bike is an aluminium Trek Domane, ALR6 Disc.
    In a blind test (apart from falling off and crashing) I don't think I'd notice the difference. At least not for general training rides. The position is somewhat different so I notice that.
    I also have a middle range Madone (4 series carbon) this does feel like a more average bike than the other two, but it's also a fair bit older now.
    According to Strava the high end bike is quickest, but generally only used in dry warmer conditions, has higher spec wheels and finishing kit.
    Same tyres on both the Emonda and the Domane, both have smooth fast rolling tyres . The Domane however is nearly 3kgs heavier. Both super comfortable.
    If you can afford a higher end carbon frame i would go for it, but I don't think you will be missing out if you purchased an aluminium frame. I do think there is a difference between carbon grades but it's very difficult to quantify and may even be down to an inbuilt snobbery. I was happy with the Madone until I got the Emonda. (Throughout the winter I've road 70 mile rides on the aluminium domane and not felt that I needed a carbon frame)
    My next bike will again be aluminium, but that's because I have always loved the CAAD frames and fancy building up a CAAD 12. If my budget was in the 2k range again i would be looking at the CAAD 12. All just my personal preference on the type riding I do.
  • OUGrad05
    OUGrad05 Posts: 15
    w00dster wrote:
    I ride a high end carbon bike, Trek Emonda SLR, this is their highest spec Emonda frame available to buy and uses by the Trek Segefrado team.
    Winter Bike is an aluminium Trek Domane, ALR6 Disc.
    In a blind test (apart from falling off and crashing) I don't think I'd notice the difference. At least not for general training rides. The position is somewhat different so I notice that.
    I also have a middle range Madone (4 series carbon) this does feel like a more average bike than the other two, but it's also a fair bit older now.
    According to Strava the high end bike is quickest, but generally only used in dry warmer conditions, has higher spec wheels and finishing kit.
    Same tyres on both the Emonda and the Domane, both have smooth fast rolling tyres . The Domane however is nearly 3kgs heavier. Both super comfortable.
    If you can afford a higher end carbon frame i would go for it, but I don't think you will be missing out if you purchased an aluminium frame. I do think there is a difference between carbon grades but it's very difficult to quantify and may even be down to an inbuilt snobbery. I was happy with the Madone until I got the Emonda. (Throughout the winter I've road 70 mile rides on the aluminium domane and not felt that I needed a carbon frame)
    My next bike will again be aluminium, but that's because I have always loved the CAAD frames and fancy building up a CAAD 12. If my budget was in the 2k range again i would be looking at the CAAD 12. All just my personal preference on the type riding I do.
    Thank you!