Garmin 520 Maps - anywhere else to download them?

cgfw201
cgfw201 Posts: 674
edited March 2017 in Road general
Usually download maps to my 520 from http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

It's a bit old fashioned, but does the job.

I'm off on holiday tonight, so just trying to get the tiles for where I'll be riding. However I'm number 321 in the 'Queue' apparently, with an estimated delivery time of 1.3 days away!

Is there any other site which offers this same service?

Comments

• mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Where are you going?
  • cgfw201
    mamba80 wrote:
    Where are you going?

mallorca
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Get yourself into the queue anyway, I would.

Then buy an 820.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    There are a number of different ways to get the data you want: start here http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin (and you can be your own master) or look here http://www.raumbezug.eu/ag/internet/osmGarmin.htm (they have prebuilt downloads for many countries)
  • cgfw201
    There are a number of different ways to get the data you want: start here http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin (and you can be your own master) or look here http://www.raumbezug.eu/ag/internet/osmGarmin.htm (they have prebuilt downloads for many countries)

Cheers. Don't think any of those will work for me though. The wiki site has links to things which look like they will work, but all need an app installing on my computer which I can't do, as it's a work laptop.

Those prebuilt ones are too big, the Spain file is 350mb, needs to be max 50mb.
  • okgo
    Its really quite a rubbish unit. Garmin need to have a word with themselves IMO.

Let me see if I have the file already, I may do.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
  • cgfw201

heroic, cheers.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    okgo wrote:
    Its really quite a rubbish unit. Garmin need to have a word with themselves IMO.

Let me see if I have the file already, I may do.
    It is not really designed for mapping. It can display a small amount as it is an update to the 500 which just had a breadcrumb trail. If you want mapping you are supposed to get a 8xx/1xxx unit.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    cgfw201 wrote:

heroic, cheers.

if it doesn't work etc i have the open street one, its 16mb i can email it to you ? i used it last year.

yep its not a 820 but its pretty good considering, will do turn by turn following a course, for Mallorca you dont need more, its not Devon!
  • okgo
    Its an awful unit.

It has no storage and no possibility to add to it. Totally defunct on release.
  • cgfw201
    okgo wrote:
    Its an awful unit.

It has no storage and no possibility to add to it. Totally defunct on release.

it's pretty astonishing how little bike computer tech has come on in the last 10 years, particularly if you compare them to the phones we had back then versus now.

Garmin 500 is pretty much 10 years old I think.

New Wahoo Elemnt Bolt launched today, not sure it does anything the original Garmin 500 couldn't do, and it's bigger.
  • okgo
    Totally with you.

I bought the 520 without really looking much into it, quickly realised my error and switched it out for the 820. Which again, is shite. But it does what I need. As long as you don't need to use the touchscreen, or ask it do do anything beyond lap or start/stop, its OK. Again, the 800 is a better unit than this, and really all the 820 adds of use is bluetooth connectivity so I don't have to plug it in to upload my ride. Nuts.

Meanwhile you have phones that are as powerful as laptops were just a matter of months ago...
  • As a recent purchaser of a Garmin Edge 520, I have to agree - it's pretty shit. I kind of knew it was before I bought it but couldn't see any other credible alternative.

Even the way in which you load routes is pretty clumsy - copying and pasting files into a secret location which you need to google because Garmin don't seem to want to tell you. It's 2017 - would a decent front end be too much to ask for?

But enjoy the holiday - a good reminder for me to download the maps well in advance next time I'm going outside my local area.
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • cgfw201
    To be fair, I do think the 520 is pretty good at most stuff that it does. I like the buttons, the battery lasts ages, it’s simple and easy to use on the bike and looks pretty smart. Bluetooth link to phone means don’t need laptop/cables apart from this infernal mess of getting routes and maps onto it, which fortunately isn’t very often.

If this was phones, it would have lead to something like computers integrated into stems/bars as standard by now, you would have thought. Rather than pissing about dragging files into mysterious folders.
  • cgfw201
    PS - just had the email from openstreetmapNL, got their map downloaded after a mere 10 hour wait.
  • feisty
    feisty Posts: 161
    I've got a wahoo elemnt. Delighted with it. Won't ever go back to garmin.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    The 520 is a good gps. Granted, being Garmin there are some issues, for example since the 11.0 update i have had several sensor connection issues, and there is a growing number of reports of battery life falling dramatically after the first years use. Asides from these though it has been a pretty good cycle gps, and i for one have found it far more reliable and useful than the 510 and 810 i had previously.

However, i do wonder how the Wahoo Elemnt Bolt will impact the 520 market. Details and reviews from the likes of DCR and Shane Miller suggest it can perform almost every feature of the 520 (although not all), plus its cheaper.
  • feisty
    feisty Posts: 161
    Bolt has same functionality as elemnt but is smaller. Elemnt superb. It just works with no fuss. Maps very clear. Brilliant way to add and reduce data fields mid ride with one button press. Load new routes mid ride without having to stop your ride. Incredibly easy to configure. I never thought garmin were that bad (just buggy) but I won't go back