Accident on New Leeds/Bradford 'Cycle Connect' Lane.

krisleeds
krisleeds Posts: 3
edited April 2017 in Commuting general
Hello there. First post so go easy please!

I had an accident just after Xmas on the new stretch on 'Cycle Connect' a 2 year project (that has taken 4, so far) connecting Seacroft in Leeds to Leeds, to Bradford.

I would like some advice on the below please before i send it off (if people think its worth it)

The references refer to evidence which is of good quality, relevant and correct.

https://goo.gl/photos/V29K6DpNs8d6zD879

Ive attached an image of the accident spot, which is worth seeing to give context.

The council have now said that the road WAS gritted that morning, but i know for a fact the cycle lanes aren't.

I'm not trying to rinse the council for PI - but i would like reimbursing for damage to my bike.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

***********************************************************************************************************************************************

On the 24th January 2017 at approximately 07:40 – I was involved in an accident on the new stretch of the Cycle Super Highway connecting Seacroft and Leeds.

As I was approaching Leeds from the direction of Seacroft, on the Marsh Lane section (see Image A), my bike slipped on the icy cycle path and caused me to run into a lamp post with my shoulder (See Image B) – which caused my bike to twist and try and mount the VERY steep cycle path kerb, dismounting me from my bicycle. As an aside, the positioning of the cycle lane through the lampposts in image A I find extremely dangerous.

It was a very icy morning, but the cycle path was not gritted.

This resulted in damage to my bike (listed below also see Image C), a trip to Leeds General Infirmary A&E and an X-Ray (see Document 1). Thankfully, nothing was broken, I only had bruising and swelling.

On the 17th February, I reported this to the City Connect team as I felt it important that they knew about this.
On the 21st February, I received a reply from ‘The Cycle Connect Team’ stating that the cycle lane had not been officially been declared open and essentially that I shouldn’t have been using it. (see Document 2).

This has irritated me as in November/December 2016 I specifically emailed the Cycle Connect team asking if that stretch of the cycle lane was open (as I had been subjected to intimidation by drivers for NOT using it). I was told that it was open on 7th December (see Document 3).

On the 28th February, I received an email from ‘Joanne’ at Cycle Connect advising me that I had been misinformed (see Document 4)

If I had been advised correctly, I would not be using the cycle lane and the accident may well not have happened.
Since then I have sent email to the Cycle Connect Team and the Council with nothing but insincere replies. See Document 4

I digress.

I am looking for what I think are not unreasonable costs for damage to my bike.
New (second hand) wheel set (due to damage - see Image B) = £80 purchased from Gumtree
New pair of tyres (due to damage – see Image B) = £22 purchased from Gumtree
New pair of inner tubes (due to damage – see Image B) = £10 purchased from Halfords
1 x Front wheel disc brake rotor = £10 purchased from Gumtree
Two weeks of bus fares as I was unable to cycle to work (cycling IS my method of commuting) – 10 x £4 (Arriva Urban Day Pass) = £40

In total I am looking for my expenditure of £162 to be reimbursed.

I have sought initial legal advice and if this letter has no impact, or the desired result, I will instruct them to contact you on my behalf.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    On the bright side, the hospital was close by and a nice clear sign pointing the way.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    I presume you are not a member of CTC BC or some local cycling pressure group (eg I am a member of the London Cycling Campaign) - most of these groups, whether national or regional, provide support and advice in these cases which is much better than you will find here. Might even be worth joining - and being totally honest in asking for retrospective help; you won't qualify for the automatic aid that members get but I would be surprised if they refused to help.

I am legally qualified - although cycling is so far from my area of expertise this really means little- however, I can tell you that some of the advice given in previous threads was woeful; incorrect in theory and practice. The practical advice you get here will be excellent (if you ignore the suggestions to d-lock any errant motorist) - the legal advice is pants.

My advice would be to stay polite and reasonable yet be utterly relentless - stubborn as a mule; keep pounding them with letters, follow up calls, requests for progress reports etc.
  • I've put in a claim form to the Council for my bike damage with the above info.

I was luckily not seriously injured, so no P.I. claim - i'm not in the habit of making up a bit of whiplash.

So long as my bike damage is made good - i'd be happy.

I keep emailing the 'City Connect' people, but they seem to all intents an outsourced project group who are unwilling to do any more than tow the party line.
  • Have you looked at the cycle connect facebook page? You are not the only one to complain about the dangerous nature of this 'cycle lane', or to have an accident on it. Take screenshots of all the complaints on the facebook page about not gritting, including the promises by cycle connect that they will grit the path, as evidence of longstanding negligence, as well as all the other complaints about the poor surface etc. Have a look the various blogs that have been posted about it as further evidence that they had previously been warned about the dangerous nature of the project. I wouldn't normally be in favour of using some ambulance-chasing law firm, but you might have a good case here. Plus someone needs to take city connect to task for their complete negligence and general incompetence.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    I accidentally came across this thread as I was just about to ask for advice on puncture resistant tyres (like Tannus tyres) after using this very cycle lane !!!

Ive cycled along it quite a few times from Thornbury into Leeds City centre rather than use my car. The cycle lane is nice in theory, a lot safer than cycling on the road, especially the Bradford Rd dual-carriageway. And I would prefer to commute by bike more.

However, Ive had nothing put trouble with the unswept surface along this cycle lane. Ive even had multiple punctures along here even using Conti Gator Hardshell tyres. On one occasion I got a dustpan and brush from home and swept up the glass myself.

Is the glass deliberate? There seems to be a lot of bitter daily mail reading bigots out there.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The lane is a death trap --- I tried it last week and was almost wiped out by a taxi cutting down the inside
    never again

Not maintained and poorly designed

Waste of money