Creaking specialized Toupe

Websta24
Websta24 Posts: 162
edited March 2017 in Workshop
Hi All,

I did a search, and did find some info about others experiencing creaking from Spesh saddles, but i wonder if anyone has managed to find a cure?

The creaks appear to come from the area where the rails connect to the main body. I've tried spraying some MO94 in, but to no avail. Someone mention about tightening the small screws on the underside, but there aren't any that are visible!

I wondered if it could be caused by the fact i have to clamp it towards the front end of the rails to achieve the correct reach...however, i changed the seat post back to the old one and the issue is still present...

Frustrating the living daylights out of me...ideas anyone?!

Comments

• 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    I've had two Toupe's crack at narrowest part of the base, may be worth checking (if you haven't already).

Otherwise, any saddle creaks I've had, have been between the rails and the seat post clamp.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Sometimes sh1t just happens. I've done a lot of miles on 2, perhaps 3 toupes on different bikes over the years and never had a squeak out of them - I have always found them comfy as well, even though they are probably only base models that are usually supplied as OEM with a bike. Unless I missed it, you didn't say whether the saddle or whole bike was new or whether it suddenly started happening but if lube hasn't sorted it out, it's probably only a £25 saddle in the first place if it was OEM and cheap enough to replace. If new, get the shop to sort or replace (but that might be a pain!).
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • Websta24
    Websta24 Posts: 162
    Thanks for the replies...The saddle was bought separately from the Bike, invested in it after having a bike fit. The creaking only started within the last 3/4 weeks so is a new problem and hasn't been there from the beginning. Its an £80 saddle so not just a cheap entry level model, so im pretty certain it shouldn't be creaking like it is. I've checked for structural cracks etc but cannot see any.

The shop i bought it from has ceased trading so i couldn't go down the route of returning it, but i contacted Specialized directly and they are handling for me. They have agreed to replace it!

Top customer service from Spesh!
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    My S-Works Toupe sadlle creaks!! :S
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • Ive had the same problem on several Romin saddles. A squirt of wd40 or gt45 after each wash to the saddle rail/shell interface sorted it out. Apparently fizik saddles suffer badly from this as well.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    May be due to your saddle mounting position on the rails. You shouldn't be adjusting saddle position to account for issues with reach; only for your position relative to the BB. Adjust the stem/bars to address reach issues............
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D