Rapha to be sold?

Thigh_burn
Thigh_burn Posts: 489
edited March 2017 in Road general
Speculationthat Rapha might be sold. Still very much in early days, but looks like they'll soon be appointing bankers to decide on what the options might be. No great surprise, and both the haters and lovers will surely welcome this news as an opportunity to crow/bitch even more about them now.

Comments

• teebs_123
    teebs_123 Posts: 357
    Thigh_burn wrote:
    Speculationthat Rapha might be sold. Still very much in early days, but looks like they'll soon be appointing bankers to decide on what the options might be. No great surprise, and both the haters and lovers will surely welcome this news as an opportunity to crow/***** even more about them now.

I'm neither a lover or hater really, the founder has done a spectacular job of developing a brand that has such a huge following worldwide.

I do think they've become slightly stagnant recently, I had an email about their new pro-team jerseys and they all looked pretty poor.

Good luck to them
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    It will be a shame if they do fold and become no more .... as a cycling newbie I don't even own a pair of bib-shorts yet ..... its typical that by the time I get to the stage in the lifecycle that I feel the need for premium clothing, the most renowned of companies wont be around

why am I always late to the party !
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,737
    It's not folding.

Guys who own the thing want to cash out!
  • fat daddy
    phew ..... my dreams still live on
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Teebs_123 wrote:
    Thigh_burn wrote:
    Speculationthat Rapha might be sold. Still very much in early days, but looks like they'll soon be appointing bankers to decide on what the options might be. No great surprise, and both the haters and lovers will surely welcome this news as an opportunity to crow/***** even more about them now.

I'm neither a lover or hater really, the founder has done a spectacular job of developing a brand that has such a huge following worldwide.

I do think they've become slightly stagnant recently, I had an email about their new pro-team jerseys and they all looked pretty poor.

Good luck to them

If only their clothes were less durable and went out of fashion more quickly, their sales would improve!
  • teebs_123
    mrfpb wrote:
    Teebs_123 wrote:
    Thigh_burn wrote:

Good luck to them

If only their clothes were less durable and went out of fashion more quickly, their sales would improve!

Good point, you do wonder if/when they'll reach a critical mass of people wanting to spend £200+ on shirts and £100+ jerseys.

I'm sure cycling participation has dropped significantly since the 2012 Olympics/TDF resurgence, and with it the number of people getting into the sport? This will have a knock on effect for the % of people willing to spend on top-end kit..
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • Thigh_burn
    Thigh_burn Posts: 489
    Teebs_123 wrote:
    Good point, you do wonder if/when they'll reach a critical mass of people wanting to spend £200+ on shirts and £100+ jerseys.

I'm sure cycling participation has dropped significantly since the 2012 Olympics/TDF resurgence, and with it the number of people getting into the sport? This will have a knock on effect for the % of people willing to spend on top-end kit..

Not sure I agree. I think that there will have been some drop-off, but I think there is a dedicated group of people only too willing to spend on quality kit.

Their off bike wear is popular and it seems they're doing more of it. Plus they're developing their travel option. No doubt they're becoming ever more of a lifestyle brand.

Is it such a stretch to seeing them buying a property in Mallorca and turning it into a RCC with rooms? I reckon with a bit more capital, it's possible.

This transaction if it happens would allow them to expand geographically and product range.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    They'll probably get bought by Louis Vuitton, like Pinarello. I dislike the brand and everything it stands for, but as an ex-marketing man, I have to admire what the people in the driving seat there have achieved.
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    Thigh_burn wrote:
    Teebs_123 wrote:

Not sure I agree. I think that there will have been some drop-off, but I think there is a dedicated group of people only too willing to spend on quality kit.

Their off bike wear is popular and it seems they're doing more of it. Plus they're developing their travel option. No doubt they're becoming ever more of a lifestyle brand.

Is it such a stretch to seeing them buying a property in Mallorca and turning it into a RCC with rooms? I reckon with a bit more capital, it's possible.

This transaction if it happens would allow them to expand geographically and product range.

They're opening a clubhouse in Mallorca
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Private equity backers looking for their exit. Inevitable consequence of taking them on board in the first place. Might get a trade sale, but more likely it'll go to another PE house - someone like Bridgepoint, with deeper pockets and an interest in retail - they own, e.g., Wiggle. I suspect the LV/Pinarello deal had an element of distress in it, as is common with LV acquisitions.
  • teebs_123
    964Cup wrote:
    Private equity backers looking for their exit. Inevitable consequence of taking them on board in the first place. Might get a trade sale, but more likely it'll go to another PE house - someone like Bridgepoint, with deeper pockets and an interest in retail - they own, e.g., Wiggle. I suspect the LV/Pinarello deal had an element of distress in it, as is common with LV acquisitions.

Good point. They'll want their share of flesh.
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,801
    fat daddy wrote:
    It will be a shame if they do fold and become no more .... as a cycling newbie I don't even own a pair of bib-shorts yet ..... its typical that by the time I get to the stage in the lifecycle that I feel the need for premium clothing, the most renowned of companies wont be around

The most renowned? Really?
    Possibly in some small circles.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    fat daddy wrote:

The most renowned? Really?
    Possibly in some small circles.

Are we talking about Assos?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Newbie sucked in by hype and hyperbole.

Not his fault though - victim of marketing and fandom.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • I can't remember seeing many people wearing Rapha except those in Team Sky kit. The team pretty much propped up the brand and now they have gone to Castelli I doubt many people will buy it. They will still have a small following to survive as they do make good kit just not spectacular. I only think they will hang about because if Assos or Etxeondo can continue with their ludicrous prices anything is possible.
  • teebs_123
    I can't remember seeing many people wearing Rapha except those in Team Sky kit. The team pretty much propped up the brand and now they have gone to Castelli I doubt many people will buy it. They will still have a small following to survive as they do make good kit just not spectacular. I only think they will hang about because if Assos or Etxeondo can continue with their ludicrous prices anything is possible.

There's loads of Rapha loving cyclists round York/North Yorkshire area. I'm pretty sure they'll be happy that the Rapha/Sky partnership has ended.
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    Imposter wrote:
    They'll probably get bought by Louis Vuitton, like Pinarello. I dislike the brand and everything it stands for, but as an ex-marketing man, I have to admire what the people in the driving seat there have achieved.

Pinarello didn't get purchased by Louis Vuitton. They were purchased by L Catterton, however 'Louis Vuitton bought by L Catteron' wouldn't have generated enough click bait ad money for web rags like Bike Radar/Cycling News/road.cc etc etc. This non Rapha story is exactly the same thing. It's business, it happens all the time, the brand won't change one bit. It'll still get the backs up of all those 'proper cyclists' out there...
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,481
    I believe the founders had to sell all of the shares to raise half of the require finance. The equity investors, I believe there were six originals risked their capital and now wat a return and who can blame them.

It has a strong brand, loyal client base which is growing along with the product range and the owners don't seem too perturbed by Brexit probably due to the international positioning.

Mottram could be out on his ear dependant upon new owners which seems a shame but a natural consequence of not retaining an equity shareholding. Hopefully he did and gets what he wants from the deal if it goes ahead.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    I can't remember seeing many people wearing Rapha except those in Team Sky kit. The team pretty much propped up the brand and now they have gone to Castelli I doubt many people will buy it. They will still have a small following to survive as they do make good kit just not spectacular. I only think they will hang about because if Assos or Etxeondo can continue with their ludicrous prices anything is possible.

You could say that Rapha got out before the Sky brand turned toxic. Don't you think Castelli might be considering their options re: Sky?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Imposter wrote:

Pinarello didn't get purchased by Louis Vuitton. They were purchased by L Catterton, however 'Louis Vuitton bought by L Catteron' wouldn't have generated enough click bait ad money for web rags like Bike Radar/Cycling News/road.cc etc etc. This non Rapha story is exactly the same thing. It's business, it happens all the time, the brand won't change one bit. It'll still get the backs up of all those 'proper cyclists' out there...

For the sake of accuracy ( now you mention it), LV is a 40% partner in 'L Catterton', which itself is the result of a merger between LVMH and the aforementioned Catterton concern.

So yeah, technically the owner of Pina is L Catterwhatever, but who gives a fck - I doubt if calling them LV in this context is going to violate any safe harbor laws, And you're right - Rapha will probably continue to pi55-off 'proper' cyclists - it's what they do.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,481
    mrfpb wrote:

You could say that Rapha got out before the Sky brand turned toxic. Don't you think Castelli might be considering their options re: Sky?

No doubt the legal advisors will have inserted clauses triggered by a range of certain eventualities or culmative impact.

That Russian tennis player who recently received a ban lost only one sponsor based on her conviction. The bottom line on the accounts report is the only one when he seems to matter. Go figure.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    Imposter wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

For the sake of accuracy ( now you mention it), LV is a 40% partner in 'L Catterton', which itself is the result of a merger between LVMH and the aforementioned Catterton concern.

So yeah, technically the owner of Pina is L Catterwhatever, but who gives a fck - I doubt if calling them LV in this context is going to violate any safe harbor laws, And you're right - Rapha will probably continue to pi55-off 'proper' cyclists - it's what they do.

Forget the looks/fit/performance/sell on value/etc/etc there is nothing, nothing better about the Rapha brand than the ability to pi55 off so called 'proper cyclists'. It's worth paying the money just for that :P ;)
  • fat daddy
    what the fcuk is a "proper cyclist" ?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I buy Rapha kit because it's the best out there. It outlives - or has outlived - all the other kit (some very expensive) in my cycling wardrobe.

No idea why it gets peoples backs up so much. *shrug*

And I don't care who owns the brand as long as that quality continues.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    I like the design of a lot of their kit. But the stuff they plaster RAPHA in some basic MS font size 50 on everything can burn in a hole. Its grim.

I generally don't think its good value outside of sale items, though. I've got a few pairs of Assos S7 shorts which are going strong on a weekly rotation after 3 or 4 years, they are the short of choice if I'm not in club kit, which is most often as the shorts are 55 quid.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    It doesnt matter to me if Rapha is good kit, expensive or cheap - I just dont like the look of it. Maybe it is my OCD tendencies, but I like things to be symmetrical and the stripe on one arm/leg etc constantly bugs me... It all just looks boring generally too.

When they first sold the team sky kit off a couple of years ago at ridiculously low prices, I ordered the top of the line shorts and they were really uncomfortable so I sent them back. Castelli Free Aero for me every time.

Mind you, I dont like the direction Castelli styling has gone in the last year or so either - used to love it.

The crash repair from Rapha would make me buy loads of their kit if I liked it...
  • Matthewfalle
    fat daddy wrote:
    what the fcuk is a "proper cyclist" ?

This - explanation please.

I am confuddled.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    apreading wrote:
    It doesnt matter to me if Rapha is good kit, expensive or cheap - I just dont like the look of it. Maybe it is my OCD tendencies, but I like things to be symmetrical and the stripe on one arm/leg etc constantly bugs me... It all just looks boring generally too.

When they first sold the team sky kit off a couple of years ago at ridiculously low prices, I ordered the top of the line shorts and they were really uncomfortable so I sent them back. Castelli Free Aero for me every time.

Mind you, I dont like the direction Castelli styling has gone in the last year or so either - used to love it.

The crash repair from Rapha would make me buy loads of their kit if I liked it...

Exactly the same as Assos' crash repair I would suggest, which is utterly fabulous.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    Forget the looks/fit/performance/sell on value/etc/etc there is nothing, nothing better about the Rapha brand than the ability to pi55 off so called 'proper cyclists'. It's worth paying the money just for that :P ;)

Oh I agree 100%.

But I also rode past the reliability run of a local club on Sunday. It was interesting to see a few of the 'proper cyclists' who've tossed the odd snarky remark at our Rapha kit in past years to myself and a few mates when we've joined some of the runs now resplendent in various forms of said brand. One particular weekend legend was in RCC kit!!!
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    I've got a few pairs of Assos S7 shorts which are going strong on a weekly rotation after 3 or 4 years, they are the short of choice

Seconded.

A fantastic pair of bib shorts.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby