help with finishing kit

philcubed
philcubed Posts: 260
edited March 2017 in Vintage bikes forum
Hi, I have a 1970s Roberts I'm refurbing for Eroica this year. In few weeks I may (!) be ready to add some finishing touches. Its a red frame with white Roberts decals. At the moment the bars have black foam covers on, so I'd like to take these off and put some bar tape on to make it look better. Being a mountain biker I have no idea what decent bar tape is, so any recommendations would be good - cork, or leather?? I'm thinking white or black. Also need to replace the brake cables and outers as the outers have gone a shade of silver/grey, so would like to change to white, I guess the outer diameter of this hasn't changed over the years? (It has to be threaded through clamps on the frame). Lastly - toe straps - the originals have rotted away - any good places to buy new leather straps? Cheers

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    One at a time please gents.

Cables outers haven't, to the best of my knowledge, changed so any white ones will fit.

Save the old ferrules though as older bikes have weird ones that are stepped. If yours are shot, try SJS Cycles which is where I got mine from for the mighty powerful handsome enigmatic Dirk.

I've got leather bar tape on the Eroica Vitus which looks very nice. I'll go the garage in a second to see what make it is but offhand I know it was rubbish to put on. Good bike only stuff really.

SJS Cycles for straps, Planet X also. eBay?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • philcubed
    Thanks.
    Did you make it back from the garage ok?
  • Matthewfalle
    Well dark and spooky out there - who knows what's hiding in the shadows. If I get the ebolaids from a bunch of zombies hiding out behind the wood pile then you're first on my list to come and moan at about it.

Just watching the end of the footy and will pop out.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    On a red bike with white decals, I'd go for white bar tape. I've got a blue and white 80s Moser with white bar tape. The best tape I've found is also one of the cheapest https://www.rosebikes.com/article/bike-ribbon-handlebar-tape/aid:26504 Looks and feels like the tape from back in the day. I'd also go for white cable outers too, it works on the Moser, which has a fair bit of white paint on the frame, might not work with a predominantly red frame though.
  • Matthewfalle
    Just remember that white tape shows up every single mark - perfect for a Sunday best, useless for anything else unless you like cleaning handlebar tape.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • philcubed
    Thanks for the help. I'll only be using the bike for Eroica and some charity rides so will risk the white tape. ( unless I get the Road cycling bug, God help me!)
  • Matthewfalle
    Deda perforated stuff.

Looks really nice but a bugger to fit. If it's for your Eroica/occasional bike it's worth it, but no way I'd recommend it for daily use.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    I'd also look at fitting some well decent brake blocks - if you're running the original brakes they will be rubbish compared to modern stuff so you may as well give yourself a fighting chance of not getting the ebolaids dead disease.

Normal suspects: Swissstop, Kolowa Stop Salmon/Pink, bizarrely Clarke's cheap jobs also work really well.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • philcubed
    I'd also look at fitting some well decent brake blocks - if you're running the original brakes they will be rubbish compared to modern stuff so you may as well give yourself a fighting chance of not getting the ebolaids dead disease.

Normal suspects: Swissstop, Kolowa Stop Salmon/Pink, bizarrely Clarke's cheap jobs also work really well.

Good point, I haven't actually ridden the bike yet, so have no idea how well/ if the brakes work, but new brake blocks would save me having to get the rust off those bits of the bike!
  • Matthewfalle
    I took my Vitus thing for a spin with Shimano 600 groupset - brakes are utterly appalling. I shall be shelling out for decent pads before the next time I ride it to avoid same said aforementioned ebaolaids dead disease.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • philcubed
    You're scaring me now with this ebolaid thingy...
  • Matthewfalle
    It's a scary thing to be scared of...... need more than a wire brush and some paraffin to get rid of it.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • philcubed
    Ok, that's it, I'm sticking with mtbing. Anyone want a vintage bike and a ticket to Eroica - if you're brave enough!
  • Matthewfalle
    No thank you - far too dangerous for me.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.