"Pringled" chainring

dinyull
dinyull Posts: 2,979
edited March 2017 in Workshop
When out on Saturday I noticed that my big chainring isn't straight, it has a small section of 2-3cm's where it has bent in by about 5mm.

The bike is about 5 months old and because it's supposed to be Sunday best has only been used for just over 500 miles.

I had to commute on it on Fri and noticed 1 or 2 clunky noises from the crankset/BB area which I now assume to be when I've bent it.

I've checked the chainring bolts, and tried to nip them up but they were all fully tightened.

Crankset is FSA Omega. I'm not a particularly big or powerful rider so worrying that it's made of cheese.

Is the bend likely to cause more problems - should I just speak to the LBS about a warranty claim or is it nothing to worry about?

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Are you sure it's not meant to be like that to help change down ?
  • dinyull
    Honestly don't know, that's where you good people come in. But the chainring no my other bike doesn't have it - although different brand - and I've never noticed on my other bikes in the past.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've never heard of a chainring being deliberately bent in that direction. Was it like it from new? Sounds like it's been hit by something or the whole bike dropped. Or have you at some point managed a less than perfect front shift? I've seen them bent when the chain jammed in the front mech while shifting under power.

I'd be nervous riding with a bent chainring; it could fold up completely when climbing / sprinting.

My son's bike has an FSA chainset; I've always thought it looked a bit flimsier than my Shimano ones
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    I had FSA rings on my SuperX. And mashed them.

I was in too high a gear and stopped at a roundabout. Didn't change down, pulled away with stamping on pedals and bent them. New ring time.

Had a few similar moments on the CAADX when I do the same (chain drops off) but those (same) rings don't seem bent, yet.

Swapped them out for Praxis. Sorted.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • dinyull
    I'm almost 100% certain it hasn't been hit or dropped and I'm fairly certain it wasn't like that from new....although I guess I could have missed it. But I do tend to look down at the chainset a bit when suffering and the chain wobbling side to side at the weekend stood out like a sore thumb.

Like I said, I heard a couple of "not normal" noises from that area on Friday, although could be a coincidence.
  • dinyull

I was in too high a gear and stopped at a roundabout. Didn't change down, pulled away with stamping on pedals and bent them. New ring time.

Had a few similar moments on the CAADX when I do the same (chain drops off) but those (same) rings don't seem bent, yet.

This is on a supersix.

Now you mention it, the noises came when I'd been freewheeling down hill and then slowly pulled away at a junction in the big ring (although not from a stop).

It was an area I had planned on upgrading, but not just yet!
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    They must be flimsy then. I'd take it back to the LBS and see what they say.

We've had plenty of people on here telling us that they've broken teeth off etc when it was part of the design to aid shifting.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Dinyull wrote:

This is on a supersix.

Now you mention it, the noises came when I'd been freewheeling down hill and then slowly pulled away at a junction in the big ring (although not from a stop).

It was an area I had planned on upgrading, but not just yet!

Pretty much same rings. Though, the ones on my Super6 seem ok so far. They are bendy mind. Very bendy
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,150
    if they're anything like the fsa vero rings, they are indeed bendy

i had a vero big ring buckle on me going up the ramp from an underground car park - no gear changing involved - to bend it straight enough to ride home required just finger power, there may be tougher cheese that that
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    mmm. I was looking at the Cervelo R2 or Cannondale Supersix but was planning on insisting that the spec'd FSA crankset in either case was swapped to 105 prior to use, with the appropriate Praxis or Rotor 4624 BB adaptor...I am not reading anything here to change my mind!!