Taillights for seatstay or rack mounting

Nick Payne
Nick Payne Posts: 288
edited June 2017 in Commuting general
Looking for a rechargeable LED taillight that comes with either seatstay or rear rack mounts. Had a look around some local bike shops but everything they have is intended for seatpost mounting. As I use a Carradice saddlebag, any light mounted on the seatpost would be completely obscured. I have a Solas taillight on another bike that came with a seatstay mount, but the updated model of that now only comes with seatpost mount. :(

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    The Rookie wrote:
    Well, not any Cateye, only the AA/AAA range such as the LD600, Omni, and the USB Rapid Mini. You would also need the tail light bracket. The Cateye rack mount works well with these.

The larger Rapid X, X2 and X3 are rechargeable and use a rubber band to fix to seat post or seat stay.

I've also tried a Smart Superflash, which has a seat stay fitting, but the build quality and water resistance are disappointing compared to Cateye.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Nick Payne wrote:
    Looking for a rechargeable LED taillight that comes with either seatstay or rear rack mounts. Had a look around some local bike shops but everything they have is intended for seatpost mounting. As I use a Carradice saddlebag, any light mounted on the seatpost would be completely obscured. I have a Solas taillight on another bike that came with a seatstay mount, but the updated model of that now only comes with seatpost mount. :(

I ended up fitting a section of small lightweight tubing to the straps on top of the nelson (carradice bag) I use and was then able to use standard seatpost brackets (albeit turned 90 degrees) for a Cateye and a Bontrager rear light.
  • Gromson
    Gromson Posts: 100
    I have the mount for Cateye LED rear light attached to the offside seat stay on two bikes. Leaves the seat post clear for saddlebags.
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    Exposure TraceR with the seat rail mount (extra)?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/expo ... 7C396927UK

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/exposure-saddle ... g-bracket/

Edit: Just seen the saddlebag bit.......doh!!!
  • Gromson
    Gromson Posts: 100
    bike-balls_1476.gif

Just a thought :lol::lol::lol:
  • joncomelately
    joncomelately Posts: 660
    I can fit my Exposure above my saddle bag with the seat rail mount, not sure whether that would work with the Carradice as I have no idea what that is! But I also have a Fibre Flare (which now come in a multitude of lengths and colours) that I attach to my rack. My one is battery driven but I think they do a USB version, not as powerful as the TraceR and the flash is a flash not a pulse, but still seems to encourage drivers to give me a bit more room. They're nice and bendy, and relatively easily moveable (mine goes on the trailer handle when I'm towing the kids). Has stood up to several years of daily commutes without a complaint.

This is what I bought:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fibre-flare-ult ... 5360345802
  • jthef
    jthef Posts: 226
    I have several
    fly6 on seat post.
    Then on my rack I have a big refector with light for back up, a Garmin Varia Rear Light (which I am impreseed with) and a moonshine rear light which is very bright.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    I got a rack mount for battery cateye lights. I broke my battery light so I looked for a spacerX from cateye to take my x2 light. Most places didn't have them or charged a lot to order them in. Then I spotted one in my local shop. They'd ordered something in for a customer but it was the wrong thing. So they sold it to me cheaply.

The SpacerX slots into any standard cateye bracket then you use rubber bands that came with it to band the X series rechargeable lights onto it. If you get those plastic cateye p-clips with a standard bracket and the SpacerX you'll be able to use the very good X series lights on any seat stay. Alternatively £3 or so for the rack bracket plus spacerx for £3. Or just the rack bracket and a different light.
  • hell27
    hell27 Posts: 21
    Try googling - Lezyne Strip Drive Pro LED USB Rechargeable Rear Light. Very nice lights, use 2 on my seat stays. Very bright and USB rechargeable so charge at the office