Higher spoke count = more comfort?

bmxboy10
bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
edited March 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi I was wondering if a higher spoke count wheelset adds comfort as well as the other obvious benefits for a heavier rider?

Would say a 24/28 or a 32/32 configuration be more comfortable/compliant than a factory 20/24 set up? I know there are lots of variables here with regards to wheel stiffness, spoke type, rim type/depth etc.

Reason for asking is I want a new wheelset (clincher) and my main objectives are to buy a wheelset that makes the bike feel more compliant if you know what I mean. I plan to fit the Schwalbe Pro One 25 (or 28s if they will fit) and like everyone else want a wider rim i.e. 23mm.

I have looked at factory 20/24 wheelsets and like the DT Spline R23 but I know the spoke count is too low for me really due to my weight - that said the max rider weight seems ok.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    It's not the spoke count, but the spoke type. Straight gauge, including those flattened to make wide aero spokes (see Mavic Ksyrium for instance) are less compliant and therefore feel harsher than double butted spokes. The thinner the butting, the more compliant the spoke (think Shimano DA CL24), so Sapim Laser and such are the most "comfortable" if you want to use that word.

I like a 32 three cross with Sapim D-Light, which is what I normally build for myself
    left the forum March 2023
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    It's not the spoke count, but the spoke type. Straight gauge, including those flattened to make wide aero spokes (see Mavic Ksyrium for instance) are less compliant and therefore feel harsher than double butted spokes. The thinner the butting, the more compliant the spoke (think Shimano DA CL24), so Sapim Laser and such are the most "comfortable" if you want to use that word.

I like a 32 three cross with Sapim D-Light, which is what I normally build for myself

Do me a favour and start building wheels again Ugo!