I Need Bottom Bracket Suggestions

Wufflez
Wufflez Posts: 5
edited March 2017 in Workshop
So I'm pretty newby at bikes. But my current bottom bracket is very wobbly and needs replacing. It's the old fashioned cup and cone style bottom bracket; I'd like to change it for some newer style but there are so many options, and I'm not sure what is and isn't compatible..
I hadn't measured the spindle but some research says its either 127mm or more likely 110mm.
The bracket shell measures 68mm.
Please let me know some botttom brackets that would work, I don't mind changing the cranks and weight isn't a big concern. But I'd something that's stiff and that lasts long or is easy to maintain/replace

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    What cranks do you have?
    If it's Shimano square taper buy a BB UN55 of the matching length and have peace for the next 10 years.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    All b/bs depend on the types of cranks as they fit on differently.

Do you know what kind of cranks you have? Can you post a piccie?

Alternatively, if you want to change the whole caboodle what's your budget? Bear in mind that if your chain rings are goosed it's generally cheaper to replace the whole crankset than 2 chain rings.....
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Wufflez
    Wufflez Posts: 5
    Keezx wrote:
    What cranks do you have?
    If it's Shimano square taper buy a BB UN55 of the matching length and have peace for the next 10 years.
    All b/bs depend on the types of cranks as they fit on differently.

Do you know what kind of cranks you have? Can you post a piccie?

Alternatively, if you want to change the whole caboodle what's your budget? Bear in mind that if your chain rings are goosed it's generally cheaper to replace the whole crankset than 2 chain rings.....
    I have some no named crankset, 39/50 170mm. It's in good shape but I really need a compact crankset because of the hilly terrain I live in.
    I've had my eye on the Shimano Sora R3000 compact. Do you think this is a good option? I'm not sure if it's compatible with a 7 speed chain and freewheel.
    Current Crankset: http://i.imgur.com/bDysF7n.jpg