PF86 BB - Wheels Manufacturing

Snowblind
Snowblind Posts: 75
edited March 2017 in Workshop
Hi all,

I'm building up an Orbea Orca Cofidis frame. The BB standard is PF86. The Shimano PF86 BB costs £26 with Wiggle's standard discount. Some people have told me to check out the angular contact bearings bottom brackets sold by Wheels Manufacturing, claiming that they are superior (this one, I presume: http://www.freeborn.co.uk/wheels-manufa ... ible-black).

Does anyone have any thoughts? Is it worth spending twice as much to get angular contact bearings?

Thanks.

Comments

• Nick Payne
    Nick Payne Posts: 288
    The best thing about the Wheels Manufacturing press fit BBs is that they make ones where the two sides thread together, which solves a lot of the problems that press fit BBs introduced. I've used them a couple of times to fix creaking/loose press fit BBs. I reckon they're well worth the extra money. Can't answer your question about angular contact bearings. All their BB86 products here: http://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/bb86-92/bb86-92-bottom-brackets.html

You need the same tool as for external bearing BBs to fit the threaded BBs - e.g. Park Tool BBT-9
  • hambini
    hambini Posts: 113
    In my opinion, Angular contact is a waste of time on a bottom bracket. There is simply insufficient axial load to warrant angular contact bearings.

Using the angular contact bearings, you will have to increase the preload to stop the rolling elements from skidding so you will lose a bit in friction.

The bit they don't appear to have mentioned is the hardened steel bearing race which will eat your soft aluminium crank. Shimano line their bottom brackets with nylon between the bearings and the crank to stop fretting and corrosion. If you purchase the BB linked, you don't have that.
  • Snowblind
    Thank you, both. I think I will stick with the Shimano BB, given Hambini's comments.

Hambini, I've just looked at your website. Quite impressive; particularly the technical drawings of certain bottom brackets. I don't suppose you've ever considered making a wider range of aftermarket BBs?
  • hambini
    Thanks for the comments Snowblind. There are a lot more system drawings I have, that are not listed. If you need one let me know.

The only way I could offer a wider range is if I subcontracted the manufacturing out and that is not something I want to do.
  • Snowblind
    That makes sense. A shame because the quality of your products looks stellar. I presume making me a one-off PF86 would be massively cost prohibitive! Ha ha ha
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    hambini wrote:
    In my opinion, Angular contact is a waste of time on a bottom bracket. There is simply insufficient axial load to warrant angular contact bearings.

Using the angular contact bearings, you will have to increase the preload to stop the rolling elements from skidding so you will lose a bit in friction.

The bit they don't appear to have mentioned is the hardened steel bearing race which will eat your soft aluminium crank. Shimano line their bottom brackets with nylon between the bearings and the crank to stop fretting and corrosion. If you purchase the BB linked, you don't have that.

any HT2 crank spindle is steel, from DA downwards, if a shimano BB becomes worn and the bearing seizes, it chews up the spindle regardless, the nylon is there to prevent creaking.

i agree there is zero need for angular contact bearings.

if the PF shimano bb is fitted with a smear of silicon grease, they dont creak in an alloy or carbon BB shell and of course they are easy to fit and cheap as chips.
  • hambini
    Snowblind wrote:
    That makes sense. A shame because the quality of your products looks stellar. I presume making me a one-off PF86 would be massively cost prohibitive! Ha ha ha

The Shimano PF86 system is well engineered and cost effective. I don't think I could improve upon it.