New Crank?

Virgle
Virgle Posts: 8
edited March 2017 in MTB buying advice
Ok is there a advantage of changing to a single gear on your crank? I don't use all the front gears.
If there is what do I look for? Thank for your help :D

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    A bit more information would go a long way, why are you not using all your chainrings etc.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Virgle
    Yeah sorry! I'm a mechanic and I always ask that...
    I do road and dirt trails, nothing as in MTB trails.
    My bike is a Caloi Pro-Xc 26"?
  • Virgle
    The crank thas on it is 170mm
  • Virgle
    Well i use ll the rear gears and keep the front on the highest gear 95% of the time.
    For how I ride it works for me.
  • yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    With the single gear in front you gain simplicity and a few grams less. Thats all about.
  • Virgle
    YiannisM wrote:
    With the single gear in front you gain simplicity and a few grams less. Thats all about.

Thanks for the response! I do like simple lol ok one more question
    I took apart the crank and the bearing assy or bottom brace is a BBLP27 then it has 68 then BC1.37X24
    The original bearing is no where to be found, I've googled it and comes up a BBUN55 but there are a few different sizes
    and I can't find a solid measurement, the one that seems to pop up is 68x110. Can some one can point me in the right direction lol
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    BB size depends on the cranks used, so if you are planning on changing your cranks, you need a BB compatible with the new cranks.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A solid measurement comes from laying a rule across it!

Most will write it on the BB she'll but maybe it's come off, all the dimensions you quote are for a standard English thread BB shell and the centre housings are the same regardless of axle length.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Virgle
    Thanks everyone for the help! I really appreciate it! No on to the build..