Campagnolo Athena rear caliper removal

The good doctor
The good doctor Posts: 307
edited March 2017 in Workshop
Hi,

A numpty question I'm sure but how do I remove the rear caliper from the frame. The brake isn't releasing properly and I've replaced the cables and housing which hasn't made any difference so I want to give the caliper a good clean.

Thanks

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    Undo the nut on the back.
  • None of my allen keys fit it, perhaps a picture might help.
  • look565wong
    look565wong Posts: 301
    It could be a Torx (T25) nut, as some Campagnolo brake-set are supplied with these!
  • Its the T25 torx jobbie. Splendid stuff many thanks!
  • Ok not so splendid. I used my T25 torx bit to try and undo the nut, I didn't apply much pressure but the nut is rounded off. Suggestions please>>
  • Think it's a visit to your lbs now. Not work causing more damage
  • Probably the sensible option. Thanks for the reply.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Remove the dirt out of that hole, push in the torx firm and you'll be fine.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Leave the caliper on the frame, take the back wheel out, squash it closed with your hands, put a few drops of oil on the pivot etc and open and close it plenty times with your hands. Clean with a rag.

Job done.
  • I''be tried lube etc to no avail. The Torx nut is definitely stripped. Will drop by lbs this pm to look at options. Nice day for a ride!!
  • look565wong
    look565wong Posts: 301
    TGD,

I've not tried this, but it might be worth a shot before you take it to the LBS - undo the brake cables completely, get a good grip of the actual brake & turn it from that end, hopefully it'll loosen the bolt a bit for you to work on getting the bolt out completely ..........

Let us know how you get on please.

Cheers
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Its probably a T30 and you've rounded it using a T25
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Could be correct, and when it is, a torx 30 still works...
    Never managed to round a torx hole....
  • It's with the lbs but will phone to ask them about T30 in the morning. When I used my T25 there wasn't much resistance before it turned and I realised the bolt wasn't moving. Will let you know the outcome.
  • So the rear brake now works fine which is good. Removed the wheel and brake cable and unscrewed the caliper from the nut which is till firmly stuck in the brake "bridge".
    I'm happy the brake caliper is fully functional but I'd like to replace the nut if only I could get it out. The head is rounded off and so wont unscrew which leaves tapping it out if it can be released.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Stick an allen key through from the brake side and tap it out. Replace with a correct length standard allen key nut, 'cos I bet you don't have a T30 on your multitool.
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    Use an easyout (left handed screw thing for removing bolts and suchlike) .

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Power+T ... Set/p51010

Not brilliant quality but will do the odd job.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Can you grip the bolt head with mole grips? :wink:
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Ive just checked my Athena rear caliper and its held on with a T25. And its a snug fit. That doesn't definitely rule out yours being a T30.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • shaw8670
    shaw8670 Posts: 264
    Find a bolt that will screw into the nut (from the brake side) that is stuck into the frame, then give a good soak in releasing fluid and tap the bolt with a hammer. Hopefully the thread will still allow you to do that if you haven't hit it too hard already with anything else. Routine servicing in future should include releasing calipers and greasing the bolt, as well as pedal threads, seatpost, cable adjusters, limit screws etc, just to make sure they all keep moving, especially if you ride in winter.
    Greetings from the wet and windy North west
  • No to the mole grips but will find a suitable bolt and give it a little tap after an overnight soaking. Funnily enough I have removed all brake calipers, seat posts, pedals and adjustable fittings for cleaning and greasing on my other bikes, no problems to report :D & quite satisfying.

Many thanks for your assistance.

John
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    If all else fails a drill should break the bolt:frame interface
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D