Trek Domane SLR test ride - sizing conundrum!

dstev55
dstev55 Posts: 742
edited March 2017 in Road buying advice
Ok, so I test rode a Trek Domane SLR this morning. Really liked the bike, the comfort is on another level compared to any road bike I have ever ridden. You still feel the bumps but they are somewhat muted and there is a distinct lack of road buzz from the front end. I think the best to way describe it is that you get beat up a whole lot less on a Domane than you do on most other bikes. The other thing to note is that the Bontrager Speed Stop brakes are awesome, easily as good as Dura Ace brakes.

However I did have an issue with the size. I had previously sat on a 58cm but felt a little too stretched out so I ordered a 56cm to test ride which is around my normal size of bike. However we came to lift the saddle to match my other bike and it couldn't go high enough! It wasn't even close, probably a few cm's short. I test rode the bike anyway as I wanted a feel for the frame but it felt like my hands were up at my shoulders (slight exaggeration but you get the point). On the Domane you get a seat mast cover rather than a conventional seat post and it literally only gives about 6-7cm of adjustment which is ridiculous in my opinion. Apparently you can get a longer seat mast cover for £100 but quite frankly I begrudge paying another £100 on something that should be right in the first place.

To baffle me even more, the Trek sizing guide overlaps the 56cm and 58cm size on one height of person - you guessed it, mine, 71.5 inches (5ft 11 1/2)

The problem I have is my freakish proportions. I have very long legs for my height at 35 inches (inside leg) which inevitably means I have a short body. So I need the seat high but don't want too much of a drop on the bars or too much reach. I kind of feel my body is not designed to ride road bikes :-(

Comments

• luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I'm due to test ride the same bike soon, so glad to hear how impressed you were with the ride. My LBS has a 56cm test rig whereas I think I'd be a 54cm. Last time I was in the LBS we talked about yge seat mast issue. They were a little embarrased to admit they couldn't swap it out at point 8f purchase. Given the bike was around £4,200 I think it's pretty c**p of Trek not to make these available to their stockists, and choose to charge the customer. I wonder if they'll retain this policy given their recent price hike over the past couple of weeks. It's verging on deal breaker territory for me if I found the standard mast didn't fit me....
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • popularname
    popularname Posts: 173
    I had this problem a few years ago with a Madone - I grudgingly coughed up the extra hundred quid for the longer seat mast cover and forgot about it as soon as I left the shop because I was smiling so much.

So I would suggest go for it if you really like the bike but you obviously need to be able to try the longer mast cover to see if you're happy with the fit...

If not, then I'd walk.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Bugger that - buy the bike and the topper online and save hundreds overall to spend on a riding holiday avec new bi-cycle and some non club member mates.

You already know what size you need, so just find the colour and price you want.

Simples, innit.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Bugger that - buy the bike and the topper online and save hundreds overall to spend on a riding holiday avec new bi-cycle and some non club member mates.

You already know what size you need, so just find the colour and price you want.

Simples, innit.

Who sells Trek at a discount? Genuinely interested as I'm after the SL6 disc and the prices seem to be controlled very closely with sales via bricks and mortar merchants only.
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    Bugger that - buy the bike and the topper online and save hundreds overall to spend on a riding holiday avec new bi-cycle and some non club member mates.

Simples, innit.

Who sells Trek at a discount? Genuinely interested as I'm after the SL6 disc and the prices seem to be controlled very closely with sales via bricks and mortar merchants only.

Trek don't allow retailers to sell online if caught they will lose the brand. You can buy it over the phone or via a website but it has to be collected. I got over 20% discount of a Domane SL8 just before Christmas. Walk into the shop and beat them down on price. You should get 15% without trying too hard if they wont budge go elsewhere. I achieved a similar discount on a new Bianchi Infinito as well.
  • teebs_123
    teebs_123 Posts: 357
    I'm not sure which SLR model you're looking at, but Pedalon.co.uk will give you points that you can put towards accessories etc in their shop.

Don't let the whole 'fixed price', can't budge nonsense worry you, I got 15% off a Trek a while back and 15% off an S-Works Tarmac very recently. Just visit the shops, it's easier for them to do a deal face to face.
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • turbo1191
    turbo1191 Posts: 501
    I've just purchased a 2016 domane 5.9 in a 60cm. I too have a 35 inseam and am 6ft 2". A 58cm seems quite small for such a long inseam.. :?
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    turbo1191 wrote:
    I've just purchased a 2016 domane 5.9 in a 60cm. I too have a 35 inseam and am 6ft 2". A 58cm seems quite small for such a long inseam.. :?

It's not my inseam size that creates the problem so much as my short body length. If you're 6ft 2 that means you've got a 2.5 inch longer body so you can cope with the longer reach (especially if you're more flexible than me which is very likely).

Anyhow, I've decided to stick with my Focus Cayo for another year and focus on my fitness and flexibility.