Ardennes Plus CL

FatTed
FatTed Posts: 1,205
edited March 2017 in Road buying advice
I am thinking of buying a new set of wheels, does anyone have any advice re the HED Ardennes plus wheel or rims?

I have the original C2 Ardennes rims laced with CX-Ray to Chris King hubs, does the extra width have any benefit. My bike will only fit 25 sized GP 4000S 2 tyres.

thanks

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    I've had the rims for over two years (disc version) and they are easily the best rims I have ever owned. They go tubeless easy and without faff, which is the main advantage over the previous C2 version
    left the forum March 2023
  • FatTed
    Thanks, still not sure about the merits of tubeless, I run tubeless on my mtb, but that is at much lower pressure
  • ugo.santalucia
    Haven't fixed a puncture in nearly three years... it's some merit!
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    FatTed wrote:
    Thanks, still not sure about the merits of tubeless, I run tubeless on my mtb, but that is at much lower pressure
    I have no idea why but putting Sector tubeless on my heavy Genesis has transformed the bike in terms of ride so I say it's worth it.
  • I have the rim brake version laced to Tune hubs. Genuinely can't think of a better rim for general riding in UK conditions. The shape it gives to 25mm GP4000s tyres is remarkable - great comfort and grip over rough surfaces. I run them with veloplugs and latex tubes. Love them.
  • FatTed
    I have been very happy wth my C2 rims, when the time comes I will change to the C2Plus rims, thanks for the advice.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    I assume you mean re-rimming the wheels?
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • FatTed
    Svetty wrote:
    I assume you mean re-rimming the wheels?

I do
  • ugo.santalucia
    Wait for the new Open PRO to become available... the Exalith version will be a game changer and probably similarly priced to the HED
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Wait for the new Open PRO to become available... the Exalith version will be a game changer and probably similarly priced to the HED

WHen is this happening?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Going to be a game changer for sure! Always wanted a set of Mavic Exalith wheels but put off by narrow rim and the eye wateringly expensive and hideous looking proprietary spokes.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    I don't anticipate the new Open Pros will be suitable for year round UK use. Dry summer roads sure but wet muddy 'grinding paste' winter roads will make the exalith vanish in no time.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    That's what discs are for ;)
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • ugo.santalucia
    summer/autumn, I think
  • FatTed
    The inner dimensions of the Mavic are a little less than the HED, is it a significant difference?
    Why are the open pros going to be better?
  • ugo.santalucia
    FatTed wrote:
    The inner dimensions of the Mavic are a little less than the HED, is it a significant difference?
    Why are the open pros going to be better?

Not significant, only 1 mm. They are UST, which means they will be tubeless, rather than tubeless compatible. Then the normal version, which has normal brake track like the HED is about half the price, whereas the exalith, which is better is not a lot more than the HED. Finally, they should be 40 grams lighter per rim
  • FatTed
    Thanks Ugo, will wait and see.