Wheelset for Ultegra groupset

hlegius
hlegius Posts: 11
edited March 2017 in Road buying advice
Hello there!

I am about to do some ups to my Spz Allez E5 road bike. First of all, Claris out; Ultegra in. But, Allez's default wheelset doesn't support 11v, so I need to upgrade them as well.

I've searched a lot. My options down to DT Swiss R20, R21 or R24 sets, but not sure if it's worthwhile for the price it costs. I don't have any other option in mind.

I thought sell Allez and buy a Tarmac, but it will be a lot more expansive than this upgrade (groupset + wheelset).

Any advise?

Thanks!

Comments

• crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    As a fellow Allez owner, I know how you are feeling. It's a good enough bike to upgrade, but when do you cross the financial line into new bike territory? Ultegra will be a great upgrade, a nice set of wheels will turn a good bike into a great bike. I am a big fan of Fulcrum wheels and my Allez runs on Fulcrum Racing Quattros. I have had them for about three years now and they have been bombproof. They roll nicely and are straight as a die - when they do give up I will definitely buy another set. I think they are probably around the same budget as the ones you are already considering. I changed the original Sora groupset for SRAM Rival from one of my other bikes when I upgraded it to Rival 22. It is my winter bike now but still has a special place in my affections.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    I have a set of DT Swiss R20 Dicuts you can have for £200.
  • Fulcrums are tough old wheels and worth it if you get a deal.

However get some hand builts i.e. TCR, Wheelsmith etc. That way you just change the rim every season+ (however much you ride.). Factory wheels, Fulcrum etc. means you buy a complete new wheel.

But a good deal on racing 7,5,3,0 is worth it.
  • Why not the Ultegra wheel set itself - £260 or so from Wiggle, I think. Would go nicely with the Ultegra groupset too, with the usual Shimano quality, and gives you the option to go tubeless?

Only thing is they're only a 15mm. internal width, while the latest trend is toward wider rims.
  • Why not the Ultegra wheel set itself - £260 or so from Wiggle, I think. Would go nicely with the Ultegra groupset too, with the usual Shimano quality, and gives you the option to go tubeless?"

I bought some ultegra wheels for £190 in a sale, chuffed too bits with them.I have a 9 speed ultegra cassette fitted and the combination is fine by me. The hubs are easy too service (Every 6 months) or so. They look nice on my spesh allez.
    I,ll keep to 9x2 on the spesh, whilst parts are available at a discount compared too newer groupsets.

Cero wheels are getting very good reviews atm.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I have an Allez E5 and it is a decent frame. However, unless you are getting a great deal on Ultegra then I wouldn't bother with it. £250 will get you 4700 which is a cracking groupset. Then, add some Zonda c17s for £300 and Bob's your uncle. The next 50 quid spare should go on a set of decent tyres. After that, save for a new bike, but you may find that you don't want one!
  • Bobbinogs wrote:
    I have an Allez E5 and it is a decent frame. However, unless you are getting a great deal on Ultegra then I wouldn't bother with it. £250 will get you 4700 which is a cracking groupset. Then, add some Zonda c17s for £300 and Bob's your uncle. The next 50 quid spare should go on a set of decent tyres. After that, save for a new bike, but you may find that you don't want one!
    I'd second that advice, I bought an Allez E5 with 4700 with the intention of replacing the groupset to at least 105. There's no need IMHO, it works very well and is great value for money.
  • hlegius
    Crescent wrote:
    As a fellow Allez owner, I know how you are feeling. It's a good enough bike to upgrade, but when do you cross the financial line into new bike territory?

Yeah, that's exactly my feeling! But I'm gonna stick with Allez like you suggested :lol:
    dstev55 wrote:
    I have a set of DT Swiss R20 Dicuts you can have for £200.

Really? Wiggle wants £200 per wheel :/ Any other reliable option to get it from?
    Only thing is they're only a 15mm. internal width, while the latest trend is toward wider rims.

I saw that! Wheels are now at least 18mm internal width. :? About Ultegra wheelset, I thought about it before. Never see anyone using it down the streets (yet).
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    However, unless you are getting a great deal on Ultegra [...] £250 will get you 4700 which is a cracking groupset

Hm, interesting option! Claris has a problem that changing gears sometimes is not that reliable. Does Tiagra work smoothly ? And yes, I found Ultegra 6800 groupset for around £420 in a local bike shop.
    There's no need IMHO, it works very well and is great value for money.

Yeah, you said an important thing. Value for money. Maybe Ultegra + DT Swiss on Allez adds too much money and not so much value on the bike - unless I change the seatpost, handlebars, stem, ... hahaha :lol:
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    edited March 2017
    Ultegra 6800 are 16mm internal width. 6700's were 15mm.

Most newer factory wheelsets are 17mm internal width.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    17mm internal width is a bit conservative. many after market rims are 18-20mm internal width. It depends on what with tyres you intend to run and what tyre profile you find acceptable.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • hlegius
    17mm internal width is a bit conservative. many after market rims are 18-20mm internal width. It depends on what with tyres you intend to run and what tyre profile you find acceptable.

In Allez, I roll with Continental Grandprix 4 season 25c.
    I also have a track bike with same tyre but 23c.

For example, DT Swiss R20 is 16mm internal and therefore, fits both 23c and 25c.
    (accordingly to this post http://engineerstalk.mavic.com/en/the-right-tyre-width-on-the-right-rim-width/ @ Section 4. Safety) - Hope they're correct :lol:
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    My DT Swiss R20's are now on eBay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232276499754