Heavy Duty Bottom Bracket

prawny
prawny Posts: 5,439
edited March 2017 in Commuting general
Thinking my BB will need replacing soon as the bike is coming up to a year old next month, just looked on Strava and its coming up on 9000 miles.

What's the best BB I should be replacing my HT2 shimano job with, at a reasonable price.

Cheers
Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Hope in my opinion, slightly more drag when newish than Shimano though.

That or just an upper end Shimano one/get decent cartridges fitted in your Shimano cups.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Why would you bother replacing it if it's OK? If you're lucky an HT2 BB can go on for years. The new one might fail prematurely.

In my defence I'm a Yorkshireman and rarely replace anything that hasn't broken or worn out...
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    There's a bit of play in the pedalling area, it possible that it's not the BB but I'm doing research on what to buy if it is the BB. Going to give it a thorough going over at the weekend and see if I can work out what it is. Thought it was pedals at first but stuck my MTB pedals on and no difference.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My first 105 HT2 BB was about 3 years / 6000 miles old when it developed an annoying click that removal and reinstallation didn't stop. I'm sure I could have run it for longer / to destruction but CRC were selling the Ultegra one cheap when I was buying some other stuff. That's still going smoothly and silently 7 years on, and it's on the winter bike. The clicky 105 BB is still in the spares drawer; the bearings feel fine when turned by hand. It might be useful one day...

Pressifit BB86 on the summer bike is 3 years old and still silent; hardly ever goes out in bad weather though, so I fully expect it to outlast me.

I whip the chainsets out of both bikes once a year for a clean, inspect, grease, reassemble, and that's a good opportunity to check the bearings. Quick and easy with Shimano chainsets.
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    If you got 9000 miles out of the one that's on there, I'd get another of those... I struggle to get more than about 3000 out of one (although in my defence, I am a big chap and usually I change it while I have the cranks off for other reasons like a proper cleaning session or a chainring swap because a new BB is a tenner and the chew on taking the cranks off is at least a tennersworth of saving lol)