Spare wheel for a trainer. How many standards are there?

pbassred
pbassred Posts: 208
edited March 2017 in Workshop
I have a 2014 Boardman CX bike that I want to use on a fluid trainer sometimes. I have marathon plus tyres but I have read that trainers kill tyres, so I thought about getting a cheap wheel and putting a trainer tire on it. Trouble is, all I know about my existing wheel is that is a 700C disk with a SRAM 10 cog 11-32. How many standards are there when it comes to matching up wheels to cassettes?
How badly could I screw up?

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Any 700c disc wheel with a Shimano or SRAM free hub will do it.

Doesn't need a disc, just go for the cheapest you can find.

No need for a turbo specific tyre, just use an old normal one.

Cassette will be needed - just go for the cheapest you can get.

Depending on how many miles your current chain has done, you may need to change to match the cassette: just get the cheapest one you can with a quick link so it's only a 5 second job to change over.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    If you are just using the trainer every now and then I would stick your bike on there as it is. Marathon Plus are pretty blinking indestructible so there shouldn't be too many worries about the odd spin on a trainer.

Just give it a quick check after the first few sessions to make sure it is ok.

As above, plan B is just any old tyre that you have lying around.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    pbassred wrote:
    I have a 2014 Boardman CX bike that I want to use on a fluid trainer sometimes. I have marathon plus tyres but I have read that trainers kill tyres, so I thought about getting a cheap wheel and putting a trainer tire on it. Trouble is, all I know about my existing wheel is that is a 700C disk with a SRAM 10 cog 11-32. How many standards are there when it comes to matching up wheels to cassettes?
    How badly could I screw up?

SOME trainers kill SOME tyres.

I've done a lot of turbo training through the winters and the wear on mine is about the same as if I were outside.
    It's not worth the cost of a whole new wheel and tyre and cassette.

Just try your tyre and see how you get on first.

I'd wger 80% of turbos get less than a couple of hours use per month anyway. It's not fun.
  • pbassred
    Yep the marathon pluses are tough. I actually wonder if having a tread pattern will make them noisier though. Will have to find out.
    If I did go down the s/hand wheel route later, in order to fit together, does it need to be a 10 speed specific hub? Does it need to be a disk specific wheel (who brakes on a trainer anyway)?
  • Any 700c disc wheel with a Shimano or SRAM free hub will do it.

Doesn't need a disc, just go for the cheapest you can find.

A disc hub that is secured with a normal quick release will be 135mm wide. A non disc hub will be 130mm.

As has been said, a 10 speed cassette will fit a 10 or 11 speed hub (but not for example an 8 speed hub).
  • pbassred
    As has been said, a 10 speed cassette will fit a 10 or 11 speed hub (but not for example an 8 speed hub).
    You hadn't, but you have now. Once more I have painted myself into the "awkward" corner. A 700c disk bike with a 10 speed!
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    To be clear, an 11 speed wheel would be fine but you will need a 1.85mm spacer on before fitting the 10 speed cassette. If the spacer does not come with a wheel then they can be purchased for a couple of pounds.

Ref the noise of the tyres, just turn the music up, sorted.