Good action cameras ?

Spaniel1987
Spaniel1987 Posts: 14
edited October 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi folks, can anybody recommend some half decent action cameras apart from a go pro ?

Cheers.

Comments

• I have a Garmin Virb. It's a bit bulky but does the job. I use it more in the car than the bike really. Heard the Polaroid cube is very good
  • Give SJCAM a look. They're generally much cheaper than the overpriced GoPro and their pricerange is pretty wide. You can get entry level, just about fit for purpose action cameras, as well as very good action cameras, some of which are on par with GoPro products. The general opinion seems to be that GoPro has better sound though.

Just be aware, there's a lot of fakes on the market. Best to buy from a verified dealer.
  • We bought one of these for my son at Christmas, picture quality is actually half decent, sound not so good

for a whisker over £40 pretty decent tho

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01E5A20WQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Hi folks, can anybody recommend some half decent action cameras apart from a go pro ?

Cheers.

What is your budget?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Hi all thanks for replies :) been looking at a few different ones budgets £120 from what ive seen im thinking of getting a Muvi K2 NPNG bundle. Anyboody got one ? Used one ? Or know of anything better for the money ?. Cheers
  • I'd always go for a camera with the option for an external mic so you can buy a microphone and plug it in, otherwise you will end up with a video of wind noise.

I like the HD Drift camera's mainly the Ghost model, they have the wrist strap which has the stop/record button on them, it's easy to get the camera angle spot on as the actual lens turns 360 degrees and it has an external mic input. They are £250 new but you can pick them up for half the price at auction.

I had a Sony ASV30 which was decent but I had to mod it to use an external mic, otherwise the sound was pointless.
  • Kantor48
    Kantor48 Posts: 1
    I got the SJCAM SJ6 Legend action camera after I read it's review. It's actually really well priced ($150) and it also supports external mics. I really like it.
  • i have a tomtom bandit but im not sure weather place it on top of my helmet or at the side of it