Downhill - Narrowed it down to two bikes, but now stuck

TEK81
TEK81 Posts: 12
edited March 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hey.
I've been wanting to get myself back into downhill, and so I've been looking at all sorts of different bikes over the last few weeks. I finally managed to narrow it down the other day (to save a rambling post, I'll skip what brought me to settle on them), but now I can't decide. Does anyone have any experience or even just an opinion of these two bikes - Norco Team DH and the Empire AP-1? Both as new and factory spec. Are there any reasons I should know of to help me choose one over the other? Starting to think I might have to flip a coin :mrgreen:

Any/all input appreciated
Mike.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Links would help.

Aren't they both a bit old now?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • TEK81
    Apologies, forgot about the links -

http://empire-cycles.com/product.php?xProd=6

https://www.pinkbike.com/product/norco/2011-Team-DH/

Both were introduced around the same time (2010). The Norco was replaced by the Aurum(sp) a couple of years ago, if memory serves. The Ap-1 is still being built. Although older models, both would be new and unused. Budget contraints coupled with finding a good deal on them was one of the reasons for my choice.

• TEK81
    Despite thinking I'd narrowed it down to the above, I ended up getting a Trek Session. Turns out it's better than the ones I mentioned.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Get the down tube protected on the Trek. They're thinner than coke cans and stupidly easy to dent. I've never seen one without big dents and I've seen one pierced by a rock.
  • TEK81
    Get the down tube protected on the Trek. They're thinner than coke cans and stupidly easy to dent. I've never seen one without big dents and I've seen one pierced by a rock.

Cheers. I was quite suprised how thin the down tube is. Luckily, no dents. I've stuck some protection on just in case though.