sub-£1000 HT - advice wanted!

sixmillionways
sixmillionways Posts: 2
edited March 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi all, I'm new to this forum and to mountain biking in general. I've done many miles of commuting in my life, mainly on a single speed folding bike, but now ready to give trails and off-road a try! I'm looking for something sub-£1000 that will last me for a few years (and crucially take a child seat on the back for more leisurely country rides with my toddler!). Whilst that is my budget limit, I'm happy to spend less if possible...

I like the look of the Vitus Sentier 2017 (£900) which seems to get good reviews on this forum and online. Halfords also has the Voodoo Bizango (£625) which won HT of the year last year or the 13 Incline Gamma (reduced from £900 to £550) about which I can find little online

I know nothing about components or wheel sizes etc, so my natural inclination (no pun intended) is to go for the 'bargain'! Does anyone have any thoughts on the above options?

Advice gratefully received :D

Comments

• mark_fogel
    mark_fogel Posts: 158
    Hi all, I'm new to this forum and to mountain biking in general. I've done many miles of commuting in my life, mainly on a single speed folding bike, but now ready to give trails and off-road a try! I'm looking for something sub-£1000 that will last me for a few years (and crucially take a child seat on the back for more leisurely country rides with my toddler!). Whilst that is my budget limit, I'm happy to spend less if possible...

I like the look of the Vitus Sentier 2017 (£900) which seems to get good reviews on this forum and online. Halfords also has the Voodoo Bizango (£625) which won HT of the year last year or the 13 Incline Gamma (reduced from £900 to £550) about which I can find little online

I know nothing about components or wheel sizes etc, so my natural inclination (no pun intended) is to go for the 'bargain'! Does anyone have any thoughts on the above options?

Advice gratefully received :D

Depends on what you ride really but for trails out of the bikes you have listed, I would go for the Vitus, its just looks badass and the spec is fantastic. If you are a beginner you will not be disappointed with a bike like this. The Bizango is also a good choice but I hate the colours, that's just personal preference really.
  • mark_fogel
    mark_fogel Posts: 158
    BTW, if you are riding with your child a mountain bike probably wouldn't work for child seats etc. The bikes you have listed are designed to be ridden hard and probably wouldn't have the fixings/attachments you need. If I were you I would go into your local bike shop and ask for a recommendation based on your needs.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Get a cheap hybrid for the child seat and don't buy a heavily compromised MTB!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Dan_xz
    Dan_xz Posts: 130
    The voodoo would do it, or while you're in hangouts look at the boardman pro 29er. Just under your budget, lighter and more xc than the voodoo. They both have the required rack fittings.