Long time no see and new bike opinions

fenski
fenski Posts: 119
edited May 2017 in MTB buying advice
First post for a long time on here, and first post on MTB board.

I'm a mature roadie and have been happy cycling the backroads of Perthshire on my old Specialized Roubaix for the last few years. However now I fancy a change and want to go exploring the bits in between the roads so am planning to buy my first proper mountain bike.

My brother, who's an even more mature mountain biker, pointed me towards Genesis and I am keen on the Genesis Core 30. However now I've seen the glowing review of the Boardman MTB Team 29er, which at £650 seems a cracking bike for the money. However I could get the Core 30 via an LBS and I've always sorta steered away from the Boardman brand and Halfords.

I don't know what to do - stick with the Core, or get the Boardman and use the £300 for upgrades and mountain biking gear. I suspect I know the sensible decision and I just need to get over my aversion to Halfords... Thoughts? Cheers

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Welcome to the proper side.
    You guessed it. Don't be a snob.
    And don't wear team lycra.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • fenski
    Ha, ha - I have never, ever worn team lycra:-) My cycling attire has always sat somewhere in between the two camps. And generally I'm not a brand snob, but Halfords and Boardman??
  • cooldad
    The Boardman is an excellent bike, at the price. Nice spec and will do the job well. You'll be hard pressed to get something as good at anywhere near the price.

Halfords is just a shop. Can be a bit hit and miss but who cares. Once you have the bike you don't have to go back.

Worth checking everything is fitted properly before you head off down a gnarly mountain, but I'd do that with any bike from anywhere anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • fenski
    I'm currently investigating the cyclescheme option which will take another 30% off the Boardman, Even so, still have a bit of a thing going on for the Genesis... Get a grip man, it's just a bike!!!! :)
  • lofty102
    lofty102 Posts: 138
    Join British Cycling and save 10% in Halfords on all bikes and bikey stuff!
    2010 Mondraker Factor RR
    2014 canyon ultimate cf 9.0 sl
    2016 Planet x pro carbon
    2017 Scott Spark 730
  • fenski
    Just a quick update (and vent)...

I opted for the Boardman Team 29ER and decided to buy it via Cyclescheme at Boardmanbikes.com. The purchase has been a long drawn out process... I sent boardmanbikes my cyclescheme certificate at end of March and since then I have had to chase them on a weekly basis via email - every week I am given some sort of assurance that they should have stock for my order the next week, but then another week goes by and no bike...

The whole operation comes across as being a bit haphazard in comparison with other businesses who sell online. At the moment I wish I'd gone with the Genesis and my LBS...
  • snowster
    snowster Posts: 490
    fenski wrote:
    Just a quick update (and vent)...

I opted for the Boardman Team 29ER and decided to buy it via Cyclescheme at Boardmanbikes.com. The purchase has been a long drawn out process... I sent boardmanbikes my cyclescheme certificate at end of March and since then I have had to chase them on a weekly basis via email - every week I am given some sort of assurance that they should have stock for my order the next week, but then another week goes by and no bike...

The whole operation comes across as being a bit haphazard in comparison with other businesses who sell online. At the moment I wish I'd gone with the Genesis and my LBS...
    Seems like someone is pulling the wool over your eyes had my bike via the cycle scheme with in a week cancel the order and return to your LBS after all it's May already and missing out on some decent riding time!
  • fenski
    I got the certificate quickly - boardmanbikes.com keep telling me that they are trying to get stock from Halfords. I thought they'd be the supplier and Halfords the retailer, so not sure why stock has go in that direction... PITA... In the meantime I've been out on the road bike getting my fitness back up, but I'd rather be exploring trails.... everything looks so dry and rideable...
  • cooldad
    So why use Boardmanbikes.com. Just get it from Halfords.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • fenski
    Halfords don't accept cyclescheme e-certificates, only there own cycle2work vouchers. Boardmanbikes.com do accept cyclescheme - however based on my experience to date, they're not too clever at dealing with them...