Headset bearings for Cervelo R2

shinsplint
shinsplint Posts: 565
edited March 2017 in Workshop
Morning folks !

My steering has tightened over time over the last few weeks.

I have loosened off my headset bolt this morning which has helped, but not convinced its as free as it should be.

I will be surprised if its the bearings on their way out as the bike is less than 2 years old, and done about 3000 miles in mainly dry weather.

If I do need new bearings though, can anyone recommend a set for my headset?

Thanks!

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Re new bearings - some people take the view of "buy Chris King at £100 and they last forever so long as you service them", other people (like me) take the "buy Cane Creek or similar at £15 and change every 3 years"

I've just done even the latter for my Soloist, got the sizes off an internet service search so am not really holding my breath to see that that they are the right size because these things never bloody are :)
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • shinsplint
    shinsplint Posts: 565
    Well i've just removed the stem and spacers, followed by a very tight FSA top cap, to reveal (alarmingly) exposed ball bearings. Does this mean my bearing has failed all together, or is it just the type of bearing used? Promptly re-assembled it though and its back to how it was. One for the LBS maybe.
  • hambini
    hambini Posts: 113
    I have exactly the same setup on my S5, It's difficult to tell if your bearings are shot or not. I did a video on the change on my S5, so you have a comparison of a truly trashed set.

https://youtu.be/FTwa8Q9UVh0