European touring advice

Young Tourer
Young Tourer Posts: 2
edited September 2018 in Tour & expedition
Hi everyone,
I am trying to plan my first touring trip in Europe this summer. Unfortunately, from what I have read online, wild camping is forbidden in many European countries. Another thing is that I like making small campfires when I camp (responsibly of course). So with that in mind, what 3,000-4,000km long route that goes through countries with relaxed wild camping and fire making rules would you suggest? Preferably starting in Germany. Please let me know what you think, and I am also looking for a German-speaking partner if anyone is interested?
Thanks

Comments

• remedy_7
    remedy_7 Posts: 179
    You can wild camp everywhere in Europe even in the UK without a problem. There may be laws against it, but you will never be convicted, only asked to move on if found.
    But making a fire is different. You are causing damage. Stealing / damaging their wood.
    In sothern France, in summer, there is a huge forest fire risk. If caught, you will be charged. Even cigarette smoking in a forest is banned in some areas.

If you must make a fire, collect your wood from elsewhere and be able to prove it is not their wood. Maybe a fire box or hobo stove will keep you within the law, a grey area.
    In France, hunting is huge and is everywhere. The dogs will find you very quickly if you have a fire.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,394
    Never thought I would be contirbuting to a thread on touring but I'm pretty sure that you can camp anywhere (presumably on grassland) in Sweden for one night before the landowner can ask you to move on . . . but Sweden may be a bit of a detour!
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    laurentian wrote:
    Never thought I would be contirbuting to a thread on touring but I'm pretty sure that you can camp anywhere (presumably on grassland) in Sweden for one night before the landowner can ask you to move on . . . but Sweden may be a bit of a detour!

And Norway...

Scandinavia is actually a very nice place to tour in summer, away from the heat of central/southern Europe. That combined with extremely long days, which allow to travel further without need for lights
    left the forum March 2023
  • mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    And Iceland, though that's not on route to anywhere. And you'd be lucky to find any flat ground without any big rocks outside of a campground from what we saw!
  • Aye, I hear this a lot.

Wild camping might be technically illegal but is unenforceable. You can camp anywhere as long as you're not stupid or disrespectful about it. I've camped in forests, farmers' fields, bus shelters and even a pelota court. You'll most likely be in the middle of nowhere. Just do it mate.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    laurentian wrote:

And Norway...

Scandinavia is actually a very nice place to tour in summer, away from the heat of central/southern Europe. That combined with extremely long days, which allow to travel further without need for lights

In Norway (and I think Sweden and Finland are similar) you can stop for two nights but not on cultivated land or in sight of a habited property. In practice, in Norway, this makes finding a flat wild camp spot even in remote areas remarkably difficult as anywhere flat and solid but not rocky tends to have a holiday home on it!

You do need lights in the places in Norway you are likely to want to cycle around - 6km winding road tunnels are scary enough with lights!

(I do love the time scales for threads in this forum - none of the rushing around you get with sporty road riding fora!).
    Faster than a tent.......

• (I do love the time scales for threads in this forum - none of the rushing around you get with sporty road riding fora!).

When carrying all you need for a few months it's necessary to embrace the slowness mate :smiley:

• And the fact that it was the OPs only post with no further response!