Mont Ventoux

earth
earth Posts: 934
Looks like there are 3 routes up Ventoux, from Bedoin, Sault or Malaucene. Are there any recommendations on where to stay and therefore which of the routes to try?

Is the weather OK in May? Don't want to go in the blazing heat but if it's too changeable then maybe later in the year would be better.

Comments

• crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Don't know about May but we went in September last year and the weather was great - low to mid 20s for the whole week. The mountain was ride-able every day albeit with a thunderstorm in the late afternoon one day. We stayed at the Hotel des Pins about 10 mins walk from the centre of Bedoin. Nice place, good food (albeit a bit rich to eat every night). Bedoin is a nice place and a good base for cycling in the area. I didn't do the Sault route but did the Bedoin side and the Malaucene side. Both as hard as each other (Bedoin probably just edged it for difficulty). If you are going for a few days it is well worth doing both as well as other rides in the area (Gorge de la Nesque is stunning). I drove through to Malaucene and started from there when I did it but it is no more than 45-60 mins cycle from Bedoin over a fairly undulating but scenic road. It is a beautiful part of the world, would definitely go back.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    May is a great time to go to Ventoux. The temperature will typically be in the low to mid 20s C, so perfect for cycling. And the wild flowers will be blooming, if you enjoy that sort of thing. Watch out for the mistral. If it's blowing strongly lower down, then I wouldn't risk an attempt at Ventoux summit as the gusts could be dangerous higher up. The Nesque gorge is a good alternative. There are also nice rides up the Dentelles de Montmirail to the west of Ventoux via the little village of Suzette which is a good spot to taste and buy wine from an excellent local producer, Chateau Redortier.

I'm off there myself again this May. I take a camper van and really like the cheap municipal site at Beaumes-de-Venice. You can also camp or rent nice chalets pretty cheaply at Camping du Mont Serein, a fantastic scenic location if the weather is fine. It's about three quarters of the way up the Malaucene route up Ventoux. There are lovely walks from there to the summit and along the wooded northern face of Ventoux - as well as an easy ride to the top. See http://www.campingventoux.com/
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,036
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Bedoin is the place to stay. And the Bedoin side is the one to do, if you are only going to do one...

https://snookcycling.wordpress.com/cing ... ntventoux/
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....