Which GPS to buy?

AircraftHandler1979
edited March 2017 in Road buying advice
Evening,

I'm looking at the Garmin Edge 100 for the sole reason you Input a distance and choose from up to 3 round-trip ride options. I like that option so i do not have to log into Garmin Connect and plot my own route.

Has anyone else got any ideas? must be able to connect my Garmin Speed & Cadence sensors to it also.

Regards

Comments

• Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    The Edge 820 has that facility too (plan a round trip on the unit)
  • myideal
    myideal Posts: 231
    My only issue with Garmin is the price. Are they really worth their price tag or do other not so established brands do the same for a lot less?
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    do a bit more research. I have had read that the round trip function doesn't work overly well.
  • I've heard of a few teething problems tbh but not sure what else is out there and do not want to have my mobile on the front of my bike. I like the other functions also with the training programmes to my FTP, etc.

I'm going to do my homework on the Edge 820 more than the Edge 1000 now as the battery life is longer.
  • Man Of Lard
    FTP on all units requires the addition of a power meter of course (but you probably knew that already)
  • FTP on all units requires the addition of a power meter of course (but you probably knew that already)

Yep i already have my FTP so i've heard i can use that on the GPS to keep me in the correct zones whilst riding.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I have the Edge Touring Plus. I've used the round trip routing suggestion quite a bit, and it has good and bad points.

Good: you can view it's suggestions as maps and as elevation profiles to see which you prefer. I generally choose the hilliest but always the ones that take me out into the wind so I have an easier ride home.
    Turn by turn directions are pretty good, although occasionally it warns you a long time before a junction.
    It's taken me to places and down roads I've never seen before despite them being on my doorstep.

Not so good: It seems to have a definite preference for NCN routes. And regardless of settings, it can also direct you down tracks and footpaths that are clearly unfit for cycling, and some which are not even rights of way. So you really need to check it's routing suggestions against a map.
    And turn off the Recalculate function; if it loses sight of the satellites or you stray off-route it will start plotting the quickest way to your destination, but that's often back the way you've just come.

It's utterly reliable when following a course; that can be one you've saved from a previous ride, a route for something like a sportive, or something you've planned on the pc and uploaded to it
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    keef66 wrote:
    I have the Edge Touring Plus. I've used the round trip routing suggestion quite a bit, and it has good and bad points.

Good: you can view it's suggestions as maps and as elevation profiles to see which you prefer. I generally choose the hilliest but always the ones that take me out into the wind so I have an easier ride home.
    Turn by turn directions are pretty good, although occasionally it warns you a long time before a junction.
    It's taken me to places and down roads I've never seen before despite them being on my doorstep.

Not so good: It seems to have a definite preference for NCN routes. And regardless of settings, it can also direct you down tracks and footpaths that are clearly unfit for cycling, and some which are not even rights of way. So you really need to check it's routing suggestions against a map.
    And turn off the Recalculate function; if it loses sight of the satellites or you stray off-route it will start plotting the quickest way to your destination, but that's often back the way you've just come.

It's utterly reliable when following a course; that can be one you've saved from a previous ride, a route for something like a sportive, or something you've planned on the pc and uploaded to it

I love my edge touring plus. Put in a postcode for Barnet in London and it took me there without any problems from Stratford upon Avon.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Are there any other GPS on the market that can rival the Garmin though. Been also reading about the Strava app but unsure?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Look at the Lezyne GPS featured on here today. Will do Strava live segments and turn by turn navigation by talking to your phone. £130 it says
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    FTP on all units requires the addition of a power meter of course (but you probably knew that already)

Yep i already have my FTP so i've heard i can use that on the GPS to keep me in the correct zones whilst riding.

Not really no. Although you can input the FTP you get from a trainer program, it won't mean anything unless there's a power meter to show the power you're producing whilst riding. Strava will guesstimate weighted average power but it is just that.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    philthy3 wrote:

Not really no. Although you can input the FTP you get from a trainer program, it won't mean anything unless there's a power meter to show the power you're producing whilst riding. Strava will guesstimate weighted average power but it is just that and shouldn't be relied upon for accuracy. It also won't advise you during a ride if you're exceeding your intended power. Cyclemeter downloadable on IOS also has navigation and the ability to connect to various sensors, but it is again, a phone being used as a GPS device.

Garmin remain the market leader for a reason. There are alternatives and probably one of the best contenders is the Wahoo Elemnt. Even that though has its issues.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • myideal
    Are there any other GPS on the market that can rival the Garmin though. Been also reading about the Strava app but unsure?

Well the Bryton 530 looks impressive and seems the real deal ...However not sure how well they are going to support it. My rider 50 is decent but now it's getting a bit worn and tired.
  • myideal wrote:
    Are there any other GPS on the market that can rival the Garmin though. Been also reading about the Strava app but unsure?

Well the Bryton 530 looks impressive and seems the real deal ...However not sure how well they are going to support it. My rider 50 is decent but now it's getting a bit worn and tired.

This is the problem. Do I jump ship from Garmin and do the other gps units support Ant+ so I can connect my speed & cadence sensors.
  • myideal
    Well the Bryton does and for the price may be worth a punt. They are sold direct i notice on Amazon.
  • Man Of Lard
    I had the (possibly mistaken) impression that Bryton had withdrawn from the UK market about 3-4 years ago, for sure the last post on the Bryton UK Facebook page by them is July 2013... And the distributor linked to from that page no longer lists Bryton as a brand they distribute.
  • Originally had the 705.

Changed it for a Bryton Rider 60. Bryton support was atrocious to non-existent. Maps were proprietary and could not be updated unless Bryton decided to, which they eventually stopped altogether. This was despite them using OSM maps!

Next, went for the Edge 1000. Absolutely no regrets although it probably has more features than I really need.

Worked just fine with my Bryton speed/cadence sensor & HRM (though I have now changed the HRM to a SmartLab Ant+/BT, which again works just fine. No need for the latest new Garmin sensors.
    There's no such thing as too old.
  • shmooster
    shmooster Posts: 335
    As mentioned on another thread the 1000 is likely to be updated in about 6 weeks. As Garmins flagship it'll be interesting to see what they add. Probably have Bluetooth sensor support and a better screen. I'm going to get one if it isn't crazy expensive. If you don't want/need the latest then other units often get a bit cheaper when a newer model is released.
  • shmooster wrote:
    As mentioned on another thread the 1000 is likely to be updated in about 6 weeks. As Garmins flagship it'll be interesting to see what they add. Probably have Bluetooth sensor support and a better screen. I'm going to get one if it isn't crazy expensive. If you don't want/need the latest then other units often get a bit cheaper when a newer model is released.

I was wondering if that was the case. Guess i will wait until May time to see what the new one brings to the party
  • myideal
    Well yes but they are selling them on Amazon so must be back as such.

My rider 50 still works and can't fault it. I think your right the 1000 is probably the best bot of kit out, but it will still be mega expensive, even after a new one comes out.

I suspect a cheap smart phone and a decent app could do much the similar job these days - can't be far away from this sort of thing making a break through.
  • Man Of Lard
    myideal wrote:
    Well yes but they are selling them on Amazon so must be back as such.
    Ever heard of "grey imports"? (Might make warranty a chew on)
  • myideal
    It says the seller is Bryton?
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    I'm really happy with my Elemnt. Easy to set up, LEDs are great for my power meter, screen is very readable and the mapping is perfectly sufficient.

I haven't plugged it into a PC once.
  • Man Of Lard
    myideal wrote:
    It says the seller is Bryton?
    None of them I look at on Amazon UK are being sold by Bryton - a mix of Amazon themselves & marketplace sellers in (predominantly) Italy & Germany.

Anyone buying a Bryton (or a Mio/Magellan) needs to factor in that whilst both use a quarter turn mount like Garmin - they are also subtly different (Bryton rotate by 90°, Mio/Magellan by 45°) so mount choices become quite limited....
  • I have the new lezyne super GPS and i'm very pleased with what i got for the money. Will connect with both ANT+ and bluetooth sensors and i've found the turn by turn directions to work very well, but you do have to pair with your phone to send routes to the GPS.
  • Man Of Lard
    myideal wrote:

Nope : "Dispatched from and sold by Amazon."

There still appears to be no active Bryton distributor in the UK. Right now, no big issue, use one of the EU ones... Who knows what tomorrow brings though.
  • myideal
    Oh so Amazon aren't the choosen outlet in the UK then? I know people some phone makers do this these days just to keep done costs.

It's not ideal though as you want a point of reference for if you have problems.