Begginer mtb. Am I aiming too high?

ab.simas
ab.simas Posts: 13
edited March 2017 in MTB beginners
Hello everyone,

I am about to buy my "first" MTB. I do have another old 26" MTB that I have been using up till now but I want an upgrade.
I am also planning to attend to a few races this year and will use this new MTB for training.

I am considering Radon Team 7.0:
https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/radon-zr-team-7.0-582313
and Radon Team 8.0:
https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/radon-zr-team-8.0-582341
The price difference is 200€. Could anyone advise me if I'm planning to spend too much on my first decent MTB?
I am particularly worried about thieves.. Not that I'm planning on leaving this bike unattended but being attacked while riding it. Is this even possible or am I just paranoid?

Thanks, in advance!

Comments

• mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    It's not too much if you can afford it :)

Should be a very good bike in that price range,
    The more expensive one has better brakes and gears and presumably the forks are a bit better too, but I'm not sure on those models.

One thing I would say is do have a good look around in your price range as it's a lot of money. It's worth doing a bit of research, reading forums and becoming familiar with the parts so you know whether it's a good deal or not.

I wouldn't worry too much about being attacked but that depends where you are riding really.
    Stolen bikes are not worth a huge amount, even second hand legitimate bikes loose a lot of value, so thieves are unlikely to risk a getting hit over the head with a D-lock when they can find unattended bikes to steal.

But if you live in a rough neighbourhood, who knows.
  • Today, even the entry level frames are very nice looking, which makes it really hard to immediately spot an expensive bike without a close inspection. Getting your bike stolen while you're riding it is about as likely as getting your car stolen while you're still in it. Not saying it can't happen or never happened, but it's so terribly unlikely that it's hardly something you should worry about.

When I was just about getting back to MTB, I bought a very cheap bike. It turned out to be a bad move, as it started to limit me just a few months later and I ended up buying a proper MTB the next year.
    If you're hoping we're gonna talk you out of buying an expensive bike, I've got some bad news for you. I think the price is just about right if you really enjoy MTB. This is the kind of bike that's very enjoyable in stock and gives you plenty options for future upgrades.
    The more expensive bike has overall better componenents - fork, brakes, shifters, derailleurs, gears, cranks, wheels. You're definitely getting your money's worth out of that one. A thing to consider is that the more expensive bike is an 11 speed rear gear, so you'll be spending substantially more money for new chains and cassettes. That really comes down to how much you ride. I personally downgraded to a 9 speed cassette and shifting. Saves me enough money each year to buy a set of tires.
  • I wouldn't worry about spending too much on your bike - You can't ever really spend "too much". Just make sure to keep away from the carbon full-sussers and you should be OK... and I wouldn't worry about someone trying to take your bike from you (by force) unless you live somewhere like Mexico - I live in Edinburgh and I used to commute (about five miles each way) every week-day on my Scott M.C.10, and it was absolutely fine...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'd love to know why anyone should keep away from carbon full sussers? Stronger than aluminium frames ones.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I read on the internet that CF dissolves in the rain.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    ab.simas wrote:
    I am particularly worried about thieves.. Not that I'm planning on leaving this bike unattended but being attacked while riding it. Is this even possible or am I just paranoid?

Thanks, in advance!

Depends where you are riding ? I have heard of people being attacked and their bikes stolen but that's really really unlikely to happen. I've no worries and I've been riding 30+ years with no issues.
  • ab.simas
    The Rookie wrote:
    I'd love to know why anyone should keep away from carbon full sussers? Stronger than aluminium frames ones.
    I guess he meant that they are more attractive to thieves. Indeed that's the case where I'm from. Carbon frames look much more attractive to thieves because it's common knowledge they're worth more.

In any case I have completed my purchase by now. Got a Cube Acid 2016:
    20170329_163154.jpg

So far, very happy with it!
  • fenix
    How slow are you riding that people can tell if the frame is carbon or not ??
  • ab.simas
    Fenix wrote:
    How slow are you riding that people can tell if the frame is carbon or not ??
    I often see other riders when riding and if I can't at first the next time I meet them I am usually able to identify their frame.
  • fenix
    Sharper eyes than me then ! Enjoy your cube !
  • ab.simas
    Fenix wrote:
    Sharper eyes than me then ! Enjoy your cube !
    Appreciate it!