Colnago C-40 - Fork choice?

2»

Comments

• heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    Pinno wrote:
    (Bars and stem are frikkin 'orrible).

Now that I have that out of the way, it looks good. Rather similar to my C40 in terms of wheels and components but your paint work looks a lot better, Makes me want to bite the bullet and go get it resprayed.
    I love the ride quality of the C40. It's not like the flighty, crazily responsive Wilier but it's still great.
    If I was restricted to just N1, it would be the C40.
    You must be happy?

Yes yes I know the cockpit isn't up to much but I've punished my back enough with a position that was too low. If anyone has a better idea for a 80mm stem with a 8 deg rise then let me know. I'm keeping the bars as they're comfortable although I'm told that the more recent trend is a shallower drop? Yes I'm chuffed with it, got a good few miles in on it already and enjoy the ride. It's off to the Alps with me in a couple of weeks.
  • cossington
    cossington Posts: 36
    Lovely to see that colour scheme - I agree with Pinno that your paint does look in good condition. Lovely combination of paint and nude carbon fibre.

We have spoken before about the fantastic ride the C40 gives. I love mine - retro looks with a modern frame material. solid and comfortable.

Regarding the stem/ bar combo, I am a big believer that the right fit is paramount,so with that fit, the most you can aim for is to make some minor adjustment. If you can find some bars with a shorter reach, (by 1cm) you could put a longer stem on (1cm longer). With the same upwards angle of the longer stem, this would enable you to have the bars/ hoods in the same place, but with perhaps 5mm fewer spacers underneath. With a shallower (measured from 'tops to drops') bar, you could lower the bars a little to have the same position in the drops, but the tops would be a little lower (you could use a thicker bar tape/ 2nd layer on the tops to help mitigate this).

Enjoy it in the Alps,

David.
  • heavymental
    Thanks folks, yes the paint is near immaculate, there are several chips in the lacquer but barely noticeable. I'm told it was hung up on a wall for a good portion of its life.

I'm going to leave the position alone for now, it feels ok to me and I'm not that keen to start looking for bars. In the flesh the bars/stem aren't too offensive and once you're riding and looking down, it's less of an issue!

Will no doubt get some pics in the mountains.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I can't date mine. I think it's '97 too but can't be sure

B-stay C40 is post 2001/2002

The 'right' Campagnolo hubs for 1997 would be a pair of shiny Record Titanium
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Monty Dog wrote:
    I can't date mine. I think it's '97 too but can't be sure

B-stay C40 is post 2001/2002

The 'right' Campagnolo hubs for 1997 would be a pair of shiny Record Titanium

I had a Titanium transmission with those lovely hubs built on Mavic Sup 2 Reflex and I also had the titanium cassette.
    Sheer poetry.

Glad you said the B-Stay was of those years, I have failed thus far to date my C40.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • heavymental
    Ok I’m happy now and reckon you lot will be too. This is my second bike now so as I won’t be doing big miles on it, I fitted a new cockpit more in keeping and sliced the top of the steerer. It’s an absolute peach now. Looks great in the flesh so I’m well chuffed with it.

38344993256a5fadefc7d16eb85a91a95d064839e6303fcf42e07b74b62a17111c027ec4.jpg
  • pinno
    They are lovely and the ride is still good.
    Mine needs a top brake cable guide, both down tube mounts they're threaded just like 3 of the bottle cage points.
    But, I keep using it and i'll nurse it through winter and then send her off to Atlantic Boulevard to be restored back to former glory sometime in spring.
  • Looking good. Other than the bar tape (sorry!).
  • heavymental
    Bondurant wrote:
    Looking good. Other than the bar tape (sorry!).

Always something :lol:
  • Pinno wrote:
    There used to be a list of all the C40 colour schemes on the Colnago site but that's long gone. if anyone has an ideas what colour scheme mine is, i'd appreciate it.

bb0462c542b083c575e38c95c2a36bb3.jpg

It's LX11.
  • pinno
    Mockenrue you star.

How do you get that?
    Have you got any other info on it? I am also trying to date the frame.
  • heavymental
    Pinno, are you on the group on Facebook which is called Colnago Owners Paint Codes? Might be useful to you.
  • pinno
    Pinno, are you on the group on Facebook which is called Colnago Owners Paint Codes? Might be useful to you.

Nope, However, i'll copy/paste that in now.

Cheers.
  • Pinno wrote:
    Mockenrue you star.

How do you get that?
    Have you got any other info on it? I am also trying to date the frame.

1. By being a bit of a saddo/Colnago anorak - I've owned 20-odd over the years - and knowing a lot of the codes off the top of my head :oops:

2. Being on the faceplant page Heavymental mentioned. Scans of old catalogues etc. are often posted on there so it's not too difficult usually to find the right picture.

If you want more info email the serial number to the factory. They will verify age, type, size, original colour and country of sale.
  • pinno
    Anorak's can be handy :wink:

I messaged the guy on faceache but I am struggling to find the serial number.
    Have checked rear dropouts, front mech hanger and BB shell.
  • mrdsgs
    mrdsgs Posts: 337
    This is mine, looks very familiar!

IMG-0022.jpg
    Colnago Addict!
  • pinno
    You have a 42/52 chainset!

You are Milemuncher and i'll claim my £5.

As an aside, I rode my C40 yesterday over all the usual pot holes, raised manhole covers, farm debris, gravel, dead pensioners etc for 40 blissful miles in the weak winter sun... and she was seamless. I think i'd die if she bit the dust.
  • mrdsgs
    mrdsgs Posts: 337
    52/39 on the C40, (originally 53/39) 13-23 cassette (9 speed record).

52/42 on my master olympic 13/23 cassette (8 speed record). the 12-19 spare cassette gathers dust now!

IMG-0378.jpg
    Colnago Addict!
  • pinno
    mrdsgs wrote:
    52/39 on the C40, (originally 53/39) 13-23 cassette (9 speed record).

52/42 on my master olympic 13/23 cassette (8 speed record). the 12-19 spare cassette gathers dust now!

That 8 speed record was probably the best gruppo Campag ever produced. I had the titanium version on my Battaglin (with Delta brakes). They couldn't stop a moth fart but they looked gorgeous.
  • michael7
    michael7 Posts: 18
    Question for you more experienced mechanical types. I have an old C40 with a Look HSC carbon fork 1 inch steerer. I recently replaced the sealed bearing headset with a Chorus headset with the old type standard bearings. Just realised that there will now be grease in contact with the bare steerer tube and I’ve read that grease on carbon is not a good idea. Any thoughts?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    michael7 said:

Question for you more experienced mechanical types. I have an old C40 with a Look HSC carbon fork 1 inch steerer. I recently replaced the sealed bearing headset with a Chorus headset with the old type standard bearings. Just realised that there will now be grease in contact with the bare steerer tube and I’ve read that grease on carbon is not a good idea. Any thoughts?

It's a vastly overplayed issue. The chances of grease interfering with the structure of cured epoxy resin are pretty slim
    left the forum March 2023
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    pinno said:

@ITB: bikes are 'consumables. Well, at least that's what I tell the OH.

I would really like some pics of this C40 from the OP.

I can't date mine. I think it's '97 too but can't be sure. I have a collection of C40 pics picked up from the net as I am compiling a catalogue of colour schemes in anticipation of a re-spray (when I finally get around to it).

There used to be a list of all the C40 colour schemes on the Colnago site but that's long gone. if anyone has an ideas what colour scheme mine is, i'd appreciate it.

bb0462c542b083c575e38c95c2a36bb3.jpg

Here's a page out of Colnago's 2001 catalog. (Looks like yours isn't a 2001.)

• michael7
    michael7 Posts: 18

michael7 said:

It's a vastly overplayed issue. The chances of grease interfering with the structure of cured epoxy resin are pretty slim

Thank you ugo. I know I worry too much.