Garmin edge 800 power issue

bianchimoon
bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
edited March 2017 in Workshop
Anyone done one? the edge 800 died last week from what i can only presume is battery failure, comes on when plugged into computer, but nothing happens using power switch, although could be a dodgy power switch, hmm as i'm typing, battery is saying 99% charged when plugged in which points more towards switch issue, any ideas appreciated - ta
All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....

Comments

• bianchimoon
    after taking power plug out the screen slowly fades to grey :(
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    More likely to be the battery - if it goes from 99% to off more or less instantly.

New battery is £10-15 (very quick look) and a sample "how to" video for the replacement process https://youtu.be/nVkkYNyednY
  • bianchimoon
    More likely to be the battery - if it goes from 99% to off more or less instantly.

New battery is £10-15 (very quick look) and a sample "how to" video for the replacement process https://youtu.be/nVkkYNyednY
    Thanks MoL, got nothing to lose apart from a tenner, i'll give it a go and report back for anyone else having similar problems in future
  • mcvw
    mcvw Posts: 270
    Useful video - the volume from my speaker in my 800 has been almost inaudible for about 6months. After watching the video I know where the speaker is so may either take the unit apart and give it all a clean, or see if I can unclog any 'holes' around the speaker area :P
    2016 Handsling Bikes A1R0
    2014 Giant Defy Composite 1
    On One 4560b
  • bianchimoon
    An update: bought the battery and tools off eBay £12 total, watched video, 15 mins of fiddly tinkering and now working perfectly, So if you have a garmin that suddenly stops working and you suspect battery issue, give it a go!
    Thanks to Man Of Lard, for your input ;)
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    Wahay!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    A word of caution from a 'friend' who replaced the battery on his 800. Do not push the connector home with a metal screwdriver as it shorts out and you kill the unit.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.