Using your Local LBS

2»

Comments

• drwae
    drwae Posts: 223
    Germcevoy wrote:
    There's a severe lack of LBS near to me. Phoned one a few weeks ago asking if they could do a front derailleur while I waited at a time that suited them. The chap replied that I would need to speak to the boss who obviously wasn't around. Phones another time to get a chain fitted at short notice but the lady that answered said that she was the only one in and that she wasn't good with chains.

Anything that needs ordered is done online but don't mind LBS for servicing so long as it means my bike isn't with them for over a week or can only picked up between 9-5.
    Someone is working in a bike shop and can't change a chain? It's literally the easiest bike maintenance job especially with SRAM/KMC Chains, I was able to change a chain before I could even index my gears...
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    drwae wrote:
    Someone is working in a bike shop and can't change a chain? It's literally the easiest bike maintenance job especially with SRAM/KMC Chains, I was able to change a chain before I could even index my gears...

yup.

If its a family business and the main guy is busy and the other guy is off sick then perhaps his wife stepped I to handle the phones and work the tills in an attempt to stop the posts that complain that people don't answer the phone.

Its a local shop that has to compete with massive stores like evans and online retailers, it cant afford to employ 5 full time mechanics around the clock.

by its nature its going to have 2 people and most of the time BOTH will be unavailable.

this is what people want to support :D
  • jdee84
    jdee84 Posts: 288
    Germcevoy wrote:
    There's a severe lack of LBS near to me. Phoned one a few weeks ago asking if they could do a front derailleur while I waited at a time that suited them. The chap replied that I would need to speak to the boss who obviously wasn't around. Phones another time to get a chain fitted at short notice but the lady that answered said that she was the only one in and that she wasn't good with chains.

Anything that needs ordered is done online but don't mind LBS for servicing so long as it means my bike isn't with them for over a week or can only picked up between 9-5.

Is that an LBS in Belfast?
  • I usually draw the line for the LBS at if it is an in-stock item and is something I wouldn't expect an LBS to keep anyway. Then online I go.

In the US, I find for most bike hardware the LBS is fine on price. Maybe 10%. I find, however, for cycling clothing the LBS is absurd. The LBS in the US often only carry the MOST expensive brand bibs and jerseys they can possibly carry.

To be honest, both pairs of black bib shorts I own came from REI on final discount. REI is a large nationwide sport goods store. All the LBS's had were some name brand shorts for about 4x the price. Yes, 4x, on sale.

I feel if many LBS's did a better job on clothes it would draw me into the store more often. I like to try out some items without ordering online and sending back if the fit is bad.

But no way I'm paying $120 for bibshorts when I can get them $35 on sale.
  • germcevoy
    germcevoy Posts: 414
    jdee84 wrote:
    Germcevoy wrote:

Is that an LBS in Belfast?

One in Belfast and the other in Carmoney.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Update!

LBS didn't call me back. There's no surprise. SomImsorted it myself. There's no surprise.

Cervelo now all sorted and needless to say I won't be popping down there for any reason at all, ever.

Personally I think it's a bit rubbish tha out of the six local bike shops I trust one guy to do anything to any of my bikes.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • dwanes wrote:

These small local workshop/ repair shops are great.
    They don't mind you taking your internet bought parts in for assembly or repair.
    They will source small parts such as bolts, bearings etc.
    They offer advice.
    Even though they are busy they still have good turnaround times.
    It's the way forward.

Broken spoke repaired and wheel trued in under an hour last weekend for £18. I was a happy customer.
  • I'm about as mechanically minded as a dead hedgehog tbh, so having a trusted LBS is important to me.
    Bike servicing/rebuilds and issues that arise were taken to Pelican in Chesterfield before he packed it all in, now I use Chesterfield Cycle Centre and have been very pleased with the care taken and work done.
    My wheels and most clothing does come offline, but I make sure I grab other gear locally such as tires, tubes, tape, gloves and cleaning products.
    I'd hate to lose the resource I currently have, so a small premium on lower value items won't kill me.
  • teebs_123
    teebs_123 Posts: 357
    dwanes wrote:

These small local workshop/ repair shops are great.
    They don't mind you taking your internet bought parts in for assembly or repair.
    They will source small parts such as bolts, bearings etc.
    They offer advice.
    Even though they are busy they still have good turnaround times.
    It's the way forward.

Broken spoke repaired and wheel trued in under an hour last weekend for £18. I was a happy customer.

That's good, my old local LBS quoted 1 week and £20 for a spoke replacement for a set of hand-built wheels I'd purchased from them...2 weeks earlier..this was mainly driven by a change in personnel, so the usual staff weren't there, day off and the new guys just didn't have a clue.
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • animal72
    animal72 Posts: 251
    JME4 wrote:
    If LBS will do a price match I'm happy to buy from them or even if they can get very close. But on the line every time if there is a big price difference.

I'm buying pedals this week - £70 difference between the lbs and CRC - I'll try the LBS first but I'd be a mug to buy for anything remotely near that price increase from the shop.

Loyalty is a two way thing.

I had the same dilemma with pedals late last year. Had an honest conversation with my LBS and paid £10 more from them. They made £3 profit. How these guys stay in business is a mystery, but they're a nice bunch and I like to use them for tricky jobs, so long may they stay.
    Condor Super Acciaio, Record, Deda, Pacentis.
    Curtis 853 Handbuilt MTB, XTR, DT Swiss and lots of Hope.
    Genesis Datum Gravel Bike, Pacentis (again).
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc, 105 & H-Plus-Son.

Mostly Steel.
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    I'm about as mechanically minded as a dead hedgehog tbh, so having a trusted LBS is important to me.
    Bike servicing/rebuilds and issues that arise were taken to Pelican in Chesterfield before he packed it all in, now I use Chesterfield Cycle Centre and have been very pleased with the care taken and work done.
    My wheels and most clothing does come offline, but I make sure I grab other gear locally such as tires, tubes, tape, gloves and cleaning products.
    I'd hate to lose the resource I currently have, so a small premium on lower value items won't kill me.

What happened to Pelican? Popped in there on a visit last year and it seemed a nice shop with friendly staff.
  • I'm about as mechanically minded as a dead hedgehog tbh, so having a trusted LBS is important to me.

What happened to Pelican? Popped in there on a visit last year and it seemed a nice shop with friendly staff.

As hard as he tried, Neil could see the writing in the wall. They won numerous awards and were very service orientated, but he got out before he hit the problems we've heard about others having on here.
    A real shame imo.