flap for SKS front Chromoplastic mudguard?

ben-----
ben----- Posts: 573
edited March 2017 in Road buying advice
In an effort to make my BB last longer I just came to put a flap onto my front SKS Chromoplastic mudguard, I knew I had one in my box of stuff. But then realised the flap was from some Raceblade longs from ages ago. And it doesn't seem that the Chromoplastics came with any flap. So, what's the best way to get a good flap on the front SKS Chromoplastics? There's not even a hole for a flap to screw into. Thanks.

Comments

• Drill hole , attach piece of plastic ?
  • ben-----
    Drill hole , attach piece of plastic ?
    Yup, might do that. Thanks.
  • kim10
    kim10 Posts: 186
    SKS makes a flap for the rear guard, which might work for you for the front? Never tried it myself but it may work okay:

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.SKS-Spoiler-XXL ... wodEh4CWg#
  • Kim10 wrote:
    SKS makes a flap for the rear guard, which might work for you for the front? Never tried it myself but it may work okay:

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.SKS-Spoiler-XXL ... wodEh4CWg#

I've got that fitted front and back on my commuter. Drill hole and fix using expanding plastic rivet.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My Chromoplastics came with a pretty good flexible flap on the front mudguard, but I've seen them made out of all sorts of things. Plastic milk cartons, DPC material, PET fizzy drink bottles etc. Just choose something robust but flexible that will match the bike / your kit. Drill a couple of holes and pop-rivet on (you might need washers front and back)
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    My mudguards came sans flap so I cut an old ass saver in half and fixed it to the front one with a couple of pop rivets. A lump cut out of an old icecream container or similar would also probably do the job just as well.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    Home made is best. Ideal material is one of those plastic folder files, not the really thin ones, the quite sturdy type.

Cut your shape and use either existing rivet holes on lower guard support (they are aluminium and always corrode away) and/or drill new holes, secure with zip ties.

After making several such flaps I've found that just 60mm off the road at the tip is the ideal for dry feet/transmission.
  • Home made is best. Ideal material is one of those plastic folder files, not the really thin ones, the quite sturdy type.

Cut your shape and use either existing rivet holes on lower guard support (they are aluminium and always corrode away) and/or drill new holes, secure with zip ties.

After making several such flaps I've found that just 60mm off the road at the tip is the ideal for dry feet/transmission.

I think you're on to something here.

IMG_20170308_154740181.jpg
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    Ha! Great minds!
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Lots of fun making your own flaps. I swear by ducktape to hold it on.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Nothing you couldn't make yourself, but why bother as these are really very good.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RAW-Bicycle-M ... 6FJlq6RaZQ
  • ben-----
    Thanks all, for suggestions. I reckon it is worth making rather buying, myself. But, as luck would have it, a few days ago my rear one broke and I wrote to SKS and they said they'd send a replacement, which I received today and it's the flap and reflector version. So I'll use the flap which I think is intended for the rear on the front. Excellent, thanks to SKS. Nice timing. So no need to make or buy.