My bike needs a thorough service - attempting to do it myself

benws1
benws1 Posts: 415
edited March 2017 in Workshop
I've been riding one of these a lot since last June:

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Raleigh-Misceo- ... _66244.htm

It's helped me lost two stone in weight, has been ridden for hours in all types of weather (has mudguards fitted) and now needs a thorough going over. I've bought a road bike (Cube Attain) and will be using that as my main bike now the weather is improving, so my trusty old Misceo can be taken off the road and given some love.

I would like to give it a full stripdown and rebuild as I'm noticing things like pinging and cracking noises from the bottom bracket, lack of power in the brakes and some issues with gear changes. Since June, the most work I have done on it is cleaning and replacement of the rear wheel and freewheel (as the old Quando rear hub ate itself).

As I'm taking it apart, I'm also thinking of swapping it from a 7 speed freewheel system to an 8 or something speed freehub cassette. My choices of spares for freewheels seem quite limited, so I'd like to make this change while the bike is off the road.

For the service and upgrade, I think I'll need to do the following:

1. Replace cables for new
2. Strip down and re-assemble the bottom bracket
3. Service the headset
4. Replace shifters and maybe rear derailleur for new 8 speed system
5. Get a new rear wheel with freehub cassette, also a cassette
6. Give the bike a very good clean
7. Clean wheels and check hub status on the front (rear will be new)
8. Add new chain
9. Service the brakes

Have I covered everything above, or have I missed anything? Also, anyone know what type of bottom bracket my bike has? I've done cables before, just never touched anything like a bb or headset. Are they difficult to do? Finally, can I use a chain like a KMC one with a powerlink?

I'll be using my local bike shop for parts, but want to do the work myself as I want to learn how to do it.

Thanks all. :)

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Your list seems pretty much spot-on to me, except that cables are likely not worn out after 8 months....
    Parts are much cheaper online.
    Nothing on a bike is difficult.
    Chain with quicklink is fine, doesn't need to be KMC.

Biggest problem might be finding a matching rear wheel or rebuild it with a different hub.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    There is nothing in the b/b to strip down - it's a sealed unit and they only cost a tenner or so so if you really want to do anything with that route just get a new one.

Unless you have caged bearings in headset they will be sealed bearings, so same as above applies.

If you want to replace shifters and are intending on getting a new wheel/cassette/chain/cables anyway then why not go 10 speed - Tiagra is good enough and cheap.

Yes re chain,

And I'd say use someone like Merlin, CRC, Ribble for shifters, wheels, etc as they will be a billion pounds cheaper. Support LBS if you want through purchase f b/b, brake blocks, etc.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Your choice of rear wheel will depend on the dropout spacing. Pop the wheel out and measure the distance between the inside faces of the dropouts

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_sp-ss.html#spacing

Old 7 speed (freewheel) road frames were 126mm, more recent 8/9/10/11 speed (cassette) road frames are generally 130mm, basic MTBs and hybrids generally 135mm.

If you're still concerned about your weight, maybe go for a 32 or 36 spoke wheel.

At a guess I'd say you have some kind of square taper cartridge bottom bracket. They aren't serviceable; if it's stiff, gritty or developing play just replace it. Easiest way to get the right axle length is to take out the old one and measure it or read the markings off it. You'll also need to know the width of the BB shell. Road is usually 68mm, MTBs / hybrids 73mm. (the 70mm ones are Italian thread; yours will be English) They are pretty cheap, and IME the Shimano ones last pretty well eg

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... d|271953UK

You'll need:
    something to unscrew or prise out the dustcaps
    a hex bit / allen key or suitable socket to unscrew the bolts holding the cranks on the axle
    a crank puller to remove the cranks
    a BB tool to unscrew the BB. The longer the handle the easier it will be. I prefer the socket type ones so if required I can use a longer breaker bar. Remember the drive side unscrews clockwise.

Clean up the threads, and apply a bit of grease or preferably antiseize eg copperslip before installing the new BB. Reassemble the cranks, making sure to properly tighten the crank bolts, and to check they are still tight after a couple of rides
  • benws1
    Thanks all. A lot of helpful stuff being posted on here. :) Glad I've got the list pretty much spot on.

My rear dropouts have 135mm of space between them. I'll look at the various options for the shifter speeds based on this.

I thought about strip down of the BB, but if it is a part I can replace, I'll just do that. I'll get it all disassembled and see what is what.

I have plenty of tools as I've been investing in bits and bobs for a few years now. I started doing a bit of bike diy last August when I stripped down (apart from the BB) an old hybrid of mine and replaced the cables. I have a good work stand, allen keys, crank pullers etc. If I need any tools, I generally buy them (as I'm boring and don't spend a lot of money on other things). :)

I try to use the local shop as much as I can, even though I bought the Cube from a different shop. I appreciate that a lot of stuff is cheaper online. Will take a look at the prices.

Thanks again all. :)
  • Matthewfalle
    Oh - if you're getting new shifters they will come with new gear cables but not new brake cables.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • benws1
    Thanks. Forgot about that. :)

Have some spare brake cables and everything at home anyway. Just need to purchase some shifters.
  • keef66
    Although Tiagra is a solid 10 speed road groupset I'm thinking that since it has flat bars and V-brakes you'd be going for MTB type shifters? Certainly cheaper than road STI levers.

I'd say go for 9 or 10 speed if you do make the move to a cassette.
  • benws1
    Thanks. Yes, will be flat bar shifters.

One more question, as I currently have a triple on the front mech, will this affect my choice of cassette size?
  • Matthewfalle
    Sorry - my bad - didn't realise it was flat barred. Didn't click on
    Link as am in a bad mood.

Triple front doesn't bear any correlation to size of rear - choose away. 105 is bombproof and kind on the pocket, run a KMC chain no problem.

Remember to get all the old bits, smash them with a hammer and throw them into next door's garden.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • benws1
    Sorry - my bad - didn't realise it was flat barred. Didn't click on
    Link as am in a bad mood.

Triple front doesn't bear any correlation to size of rear - choose away. 105 is bombproof and kind on the pocket, run a KMC chain no problem.

Thanks. :)
    Remember to get all the old bits, smash them with a hammer and throw them into next door's garden.

Eh? :lol:
  • keef66
    benws1 wrote:

Eh? :lol:

That's been his standard advice for disposing of stuff for the several years I've been on here. He did have a brief period of suggesting setting things on fire, but he's gone back to the tried and tested 'lob it over the fence' technique.

He must have very tolerant neighbours. Or live next door to a scrap yard...
  • Matthewfalle
    The setting fire thing was canned because I once partly incinerated the Regimental goat by mistake so I stopped all those shenanigans.

I find a hammer is also quite a satisfying end to a good job well done.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • benws1
    I like it.

I know which neighbour is getting the old components. They can go in the trailer they have at the front of their house that currently contains:

1. Old fence panels
    2. Scaffolding boards
    3. Some old, empty plastic oil drums
    4. Some old tiles
    5. Various old items of packaging for things like car parts and DIY materials
    6. A shoe
    7. Some old bits of hedge
    8. Coiled up electrical cabling

I think my junk will accommodate everything else nicely. Scruffy gits!
  • Matthewfalle
    Seems like they are almost begging for some old, dirty smashed up bits of bicycle.

In fact I think they would be grateful for them.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    The setting fire thing was canned because I once partly incinerated the Regimental goat by mistake so I stopped all those shenanigans.

Is taht what happened to poor Shenkin?
  • Matthewfalle
    Shenkin and his Walkman. The stuff of legends.

Then again, have you ever been to Maindy? Anything to get your mind off the dump.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.