kona paddy wagon TT

pe1ter
pe1ter Posts: 169
edited March 2017 in Road buying advice
im thinking of getting one if these as a commuter bike and a crappy weather sunday ride bike so i dont have to mess my road bike up and with it being single speed probably get fitter i if anyone has one your feedback would be greatly appreciated thanks

Comments

• wiwaxy
    wiwaxy Posts: 16
    Bought one two months ago as I wanted something completely different from my road bike. It's good fun and comfortable to ride and gives you a good workout!
  • pe1ter
    ok cheers think im going to get one have you done any distance miles on it say 30 -40 miles
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I had mine in Amsterdam - not sure I ever did 30 miles on it but I loved it to bits - the bullhorns are just perfect. I'd imagine a 30-mile ride would be fine provided you're happy to put up with SS for that long (depending up terrain). I still have mine though hardly use it now - the Highlands and Cotswolds are both a bit bit bumpy for SS.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I've got a Spesh Singlecross and certainly manage 30+ road mile rides on it. It hasn't been out all winter though, as I've used my geared winter bike instead. Had intended to sell as I'd acquired another single speed set up for gravel/offroad last year (and which has been used a LOT), but can't quite bring myself to part with it. Love mine too!

Mines quite heavy though, so may look to get some lighter forks as the OE Tricross ones weigh a tonne, but it is one comfy ride all the same.

The Kona was also on my list when looking out for one, but a Singlecross came up locally for good money (plus was a gravel bike before they became popular here, huge tyre clearance, so very versatile).

Get the Kona....or maybe a Genesis SS (Day One?) If you can find one.....the PX Holdsworth Quelda looks ok too.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • crossed
    crossed Posts: 237
    I've been unsung one as a commuter for the past 8 or 9 months and I've been really happy with it.
    I swapped the freewheel for a Sturmey Archer one as the one it came with was a really cheap thing that was pretty noisey from new and it's been a vast improvement.
    I also switched it to fixed a while back and once I got used to it I've never went back to riding it SS, I much prefer fixed.
    I've not done any huge rides on it but it's been perfect on rides up to about 40 miles or so.
  • I almost bought one as a second fixed wheel bike to keep at my parents. Great bikes, perfect for what you are thinking and much more as well.
  • rsdop
    rsdop Posts: 14
    Ive done 50+ miles on mine before, nothing particularly hilly though. They are good bikes, smooth ride on 27mm open paves and feels indestructible.
    Also have a tricross single in bits which I prefer tbh, awesome bikes!
  • I use a 2012 TT version as a work hack and for training rides. Set up as SS. Bombproof, comfy, sensible gear ratio for general use. Didn't get on with the saddle so changed it, added SKS chromoplastics and spds. Otherwise standard and was fine for years until I got tired of reaching for non existent drops, so I replaced the bars and brake levers a few months back. Wheels are heavy but tough, still using the 28mm tyres it came with. Freewheel is cheap but easy to maintain. Remain to be convinced it makes you any fitter than riding a geared bike but the comfort and lack of faff are the main plus points for me. Good bikes.
  • wiwaxy
    wiwaxy Posts: 16
    pe1ter wrote:
    ok cheers think im going to get one have you done any distance miles on it say 30 -40 miles

Yes, done a couple of flattish 50 milers on it. It works you but it is fun to ride something different.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,659
    IF the frame is still the similar to the one they were selling 5-6 years ago, it's just the job for commuting.

I'll have done c. 15,000km through central London on mine.

It's plenty comfy for long distances. The problem you'll have is a) it weighs a lot and b) the fact it's an SS.
  • IF the frame is still the similar to the one they were selling 5-6 years ago, it's just the job for commuting.

It's plenty comfy for long distances. The problem you'll have is a) it weighs a lot and b) the fact it's an SS.

Just Johan Museeuw it! And by that I mean push harder, not fill yourself full of god know what!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,659
    IF the frame is still the similar to the one they were selling 5-6 years ago, it's just the job for commuting.

Just Johan Museeuw it! And by that I mean push harder, not fill yourself full of god know what!

Well yes, I do and have done.

I have put 48x16 on it and was made to ride up Ditchling Deacon in a parrot costume as part of my stag so I know a thing or two about that :P.
  • IF the frame is still the similar to the one they were selling 5-6 years ago, it's just the job for commuting.

Well yes, I do and have done.

I have put 48x16 on it and was made to ride up Ditchling Deacon in a parrot costume as part of my stag so I know a thing or two about that :P.

I'm doing 215km and 2750m this weekend on 48x16. Great general riding gear, although I'll admit I'm fairly extreme when it comes to fixed riding. I don't know that hill, wrong end of the country for me. I use mine around Glasgow/West Coast/Trossachs, seems to work really well for me. It's a LeMond Filmore so very similar to the Paddy Wagon, they're brilliant bikes, OP should get it.
  • If it wasn't just £50 cheaper than the Arkose X 2017, I'd say take a look at the Pinnacle Arkose Singlespeed, but at £850 I don't think it's much of a bargain.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • pe1ter
    thanks for everyones feed back ive bitten the bullett tonight and ordered a 2016 tt version with bull bars just got to tell the mrs now
  • pe1ter
    done my first commute on it today very impressed with it apart from bar tape on the bull horn part of the handlebar its very very thin had sore palms has anyone else had issues with this because on my road bike its double the thickness
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    pe1ter wrote:
    done my first commute on it today very impressed with it apart from bar tape on the bull horn part of the handlebar its very very thin had sore palms has anyone else had issues with this because on my road bike its double the thickness

That's interesting. I wonder if my LBS in Amsterdam fitted thicker tape when I had them swap the brakes over before delivery - because I'm really impressed by how well-padded the bars are.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH