Please kindly share your attitudes towards bicycle brands and retailers!

Zimluo
Zimluo Posts: 26
edited March 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi, we are students of University of Birmingham. We are working on a study about cyclist’s attitudes towards some bicycle brands and retailers, which really needs your opinion. This questionnaire contains 12 questions, and it will take around 3 minutes to finish. We sincerely appreciate your time and kind help.
Questionnaire link: https://bham.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_czRfQhQ44eR7gNf

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Done, not a bad survey but I think you failed to take in some factors, for instance, how do I feel about LBS's? Well, that depends...a couple I know are excellent, one not quite so good, so how do I rate that? Same goes for a few things, like the quality of bikes at halfords? Piff Poor...except Boardman bikes which are excellent. Averaging out scores makes a lot of the responses kind of average and I am not sure that will tell you much.

Why not sit down with a couple of cyclists and try and work out what the usual comments are so that you can factor them in, like Canyon...pretty good if/when you get one but many see this as a virtual brand because they end up with simply a virtual bike, etc. Specialized, good quality but the spec is poor for the money, etc. In fact, thinking about it, you haven't really factored in spec at all. Me just saying that Trek are good quality does not mean that I think selling a topend bike with Sora would be good value, etc. (not having a pop at Trek but using that as an example).

Trying to boil down a lot of cyclist thoughts on various brands will only work if you understand the factors that go towards brand perception...and service/quality/price are fairly simplistic and do not recognise that a bike is the sum of many parts.
  • drwae
    drwae Posts: 223
    Done. It was difficult though because I only own Cannondale bicycles.
    You missed a few brands off there. I wanted the opportunity to rate some as awful. Could've done with Carrera and Viking being on there 8)
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Done

Some of your questions are too broad brush. For example you ask about quality, price of bikes from the likes of Wiggle, Evans, Halfords etc. These retailers cover a variety of brands from cheapish "own brand" offerings to high end branded products. It's almost impossible to arrive at a suitable rating when you have such a wide divergence of price and quality on offer.

The same arguments can also apply to an Independent'local retailer. Many will stock a range of bikes at lowish to high price points to cover the widest customer base possible.

As said above - for your survey to be more meaningful it might help to sit down with a few keen cyclists to work out the finer points of what is a very complex market