Anyone know if there is a fix for Samsung TV Eurosport app?

KnightOfTheLongTights
KnightOfTheLongTights Posts: 1,415
edited March 2017 in Pro race
Got a Samsung smart TV couple of years ago, partially on the basis that it had the Eurosport player app.
Of course then it stopped working towards the end of last season - dunno why? Is it Eurosport's fault or what?
I'm currently running it through laptop via Chromecast, which is fine.
But anyone know if one can recover or replace the app on the TV?

Comments

• giphy.gif
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Same problem for me. It seems Eurosport have discontinued support for TV apps so I don't think there is anything we can do
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    They also stopped the Panasonic tv app. I've replaced it with Google chromecast and play it from my phone. It's far better. If you have a Samsung phone you can cast straight from your phone to a Samsung smart tv without any additional hardware.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    Back in August 2016 I asked if it was a temporary shutdown. This was their reply
    I received your question about the service interruption for connected TV and I would like to inform you that due to technical reasons the service Eurosport Player will be interrupted in the next few weeks.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    The CIA might be able to offer a fix...
    Half man, Half bike
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    They (Eurosport) took the app down the very day I took out a 12 month subscription.

Solution, as posted on here, buy a google chromecast device, plug it into your TV, assuming it has the correct and available connection, install and launch the app on your phone (Assuming you have a compatible device) and then cast to the Google device, having selected the correct input on your TV.
    Works a treat.

EDIT: Sorry, just seen gsk has already alluded to this :oops:
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Histrionics chez moi last night - first of all even though had Chromecast set up all fine Sunday, Monday - suddenly stops working last night, so watched the PN stage on laptop.
    Then tried to watch that mental Mutiny thing with the SAS bloke on catch-up, and guess what, the 'All 4' app on the Samsung TV will not accept my password, even though I've logged in fine with it on my laptop (why you have to log in to anything watch catch-up is beyond me anyway).
    Spent most of the evening trying enter user names and passwords on those f * cking useless on-screen keypads that 'smart' TVs use.
    I'm turning into a proper technology hater
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Ridgerider wrote:
    The CIA might be able to offer a fix...

hahahaahahah yes Ill talk to my tv and find out
  • ContrelaMontre
    ContrelaMontre Posts: 3,027
    Eurosport app on Amazon Fire Stick is working fine for me at the moment. I'd recommend it as a solution.

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    I moved from Sky to BT and for a tenner a month one of the included channels is Eurosport. Happy days :)

I did use the app before it stopped working even though i had it on my sky subscription
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    I have an LG smart TV and just watch using the web browser - full HD, perfect streaming. Haven't had an issue yet.
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    Got a Samsung smart TV couple of years ago, partially on the basis that it had the Eurosport player app.
    Of course then it stopped working towards the end of last season - dunno why? Is it Eurosport's fault or what?

If it is a SMART TV wouldn't it be possible to access it via the interwebz browser? Not as convenient as an app, but with a bookmark it should be pretty darn straightforward I would have thunk.
  • r0bh

If it is a SMART TV wouldn't it be possible to access it via the interwebz browser? Not as convenient as an app, but with a bookmark it should be pretty darn straightforward I would have thunk.

The browser on my Samsung TV doesn't support HTML 5 video so it doesn't work.

But I have just got a Kodi p!ugin for ES player working on Kodi installed on an Amazon Fire Stick. Bit nerdy but if anyone is interested I can try to write down the steps you need to go through. Probably easier to buy a Chromecast though!
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    Same here on a Samsung TV, no-worky with the built-in web browser.

It still baffles me how Eurosport could break a perfectly fine app for smart TVs seemingly without a plan to replace it.
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    Th I haven't tried it out on my Samsung tv yet. With all the hoohaa about Sky & Discovery it was something I was looking into. But fortunately someone banged their corporate heads together, and I renewed with Sky.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771
    I've a Sony smart TV, a few years old now, but it came with a ES app along with the BBC iPlayer app and various others, bit by bit they have disappeared and been taken out of use. I never use the wi-fi function of the TV anymore as its completely useless and with Apple TV now its completely irrelevant. The dongle cost an additional £70 as well :(
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    Mechanism wrote:
    Same here on a Samsung TV, no-worky with the built-in web browser.

It still baffles me how Eurosport could break a perfectly fine app for smart TVs seemingly without a plan to replace it.

Samsung TVs are not the same as each other, so each app needs to be amended/tested for each model of TV. Probably just isn't worth the hassle for Eurosport to do it. Even channel 4's app doesn't exist for the one I've recently bought.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    I asked Eurosport about it a few months ago and they said that they had discontinued support for the TV player so it would no longer work - they implied it was a deliberate strategy. Chromecasting it from phone works fine though.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • ContrelaMontre
    r0bh wrote:
    But I have just got a Kodi p!ugin for ES player working on Kodi installed on an Amazon Fire Stick. Bit nerdy but if anyone is interested I can try to write down the steps you need to go through. Probably easier to buy a Chromecast though!

If you've got a Fire Stick why not just use the stock ES app? Or are you using the Kodi plugin to bypass the paywall?

• r0bh
    r0bh wrote:

If you've got a Fire Stick why not just use the stock ES app? Or are you using the Kodi plugin to bypass the paywall?

I couldn't find an ES app on the Fire Stick? Had a good look in the app store, maybe I missed it but I suspect it's no longer there.

No, the Kodi app requires you to enter your username and password so you still need a subscription. The UI is very basic but it plays the streams fine so is the best option I have found so far.
  • ContrelaMontre
    r0bh wrote:
    r0bh wrote:

I couldn't find an ES app on the Fire Stick? Had a good look in the app store, maybe I missed it but I suspect it's no longer there.

No, the Kodi app requires you to enter your username and password so you still need a subscription. The UI is very basic but it plays the streams fine so is the best option I have found so far.

This concerns me. You're right the app doesn't appear to be available to download anymore. I hope mine keeps working, although based on Eurosport's strategy I wouldn't be surprised if it stops all of a sudden.