Time for a road bike, Synapse Carbon vs Alloy some for Trek Domane

OUGrad05
OUGrad05 Posts: 15
edited March 2017 in Road buying advice
I've narrowed the search down to Cannondale Synapse and Trek Domane. I'm on the fence about Carbon vs Alloy, specifically as it relates to Cannondale. The synapse 105 alloy and synapse carbon disc 105 are both impressive kit for money and the alloy seems like particularly good value for money.

I like the fitment of the alloy better but it's easy to tweak the handlebars on the synapse carbon with a spacer to make the geometry match that of the alloy.

I'm really on the fence about whether the carbon is worth it, I don't have a problem spending the money if it's worth it, the hydraulic brakes etc are another plus of the carbon. But I also want something durable and that will last. I'm 6'6 and require the 61 in the Cannondale and the 62 in the Trek.

I've been riding my MTB on road/trails for 6 years, it's got about 5,000 miles on it, 70% road, 30% trails, and I basically need to do a drivetrain replacement. My first priority is getting a road bike for faster, more comfortable road riding and I'm going after the endurance geometry for comfort.

I would appreciate any thoughts, comments or questions from the group here to help guide me on my purchase decision.

Comments

• fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    yup, I would go for the hydraulics as well .. It would be the decider for me !
  • onionmk
    onionmk Posts: 101
    As it's youre first road bike, don't forget to factor in a bike fit! It will set you back around 110 squids- a small price to pay for injury/discomfort free riding for miles and miles.

Another +1 for hydraulic discs. I'd choose them over anything given the choice. Mechanical discs are still very good though (TRP Spyre gets good reviews).

IMO the Alu synapse will be more durable but if you're buying brand new you're probably covered under warranty for carbon anyway.
  • OUGrad05
    onionmk wrote:
    As it's youre first road bike, don't forget to factor in a bike fit! It will set you back around 110 squids- a small price to pay for injury/discomfort free riding for miles and miles.

Another +1 for hydraulic discs. I'd choose them over anything given the choice. Mechanical discs are still very good though (TRP Spyre gets good reviews).

IMO the Alu synapse will be more durable but if you're buying brand new you're probably covered under warranty for carbon anyway.
    Yup, I already did that, it's how I came to the conclusion that Domane and Synapse are the two bikes I should be looking at. The Carbon Synapse was a touch more aggressive, but could fix that with a spacer I've been told.

Domane S5 Disc is also a 105 based bike and comparable to the Synapse Carbon. My Cannondale mtn bike has been great despite abuse and improper (i.e., NONE) maintenance by me. I won't make that mistake again...I love the local shop that sells Cannondale but may be moving soon so the relationship may be moot at that point.
  • OUGrad05
    Got pricing back today, the cost difference is $800.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    I have never ridden a Domane, but love both my Synapses, the Carbon with hydraulics is a complete joy to ride, both in terms of comfort, and speed.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18