First Road Bike

iwilldoit
iwilldoit Posts: 710
edited March 2017 in Road beginners
Hi All.

Getting a new job around 10 miles from home and fancy cycling to work, I'm a mountain biker at hart and was thinking using my mtb with fast xc tyres on it, but now I'm thinking of getting a cx or road bike.

What sort of price would I need to spend to get something that will last and what would people recommend, in the mtb circles Boardman and Btwin come out with good review with out breaking the bank.

Comments

• iwilldoit
    iwilldoit Posts: 710
    oxoman wrote:
    Giant TCX SLR2 for around a grand unless you get a 2016 model I paid half that for mine.

Cheers Oxoman
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    iwilldoit wrote:
    Hi All.

Getting a new job around 10 miles from home and fancy cycling to work, I'm a mountain biker at hart and was thinking using my mtb with fast xc tyres on it, but now I'm thinking of getting a cx or road bike.

What sort of price would I need to spend to get something that will last and what would people recommend, in the mtb circles Boardman and Btwin come out with good review with out breaking the bank.

Stick with this - Both are great; although i'd imagine that the Btwins are better specced
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Zachlaw2
    Zachlaw2 Posts: 11
    I can highly recommend Canyon. Great Spec's and Value for money, their customer service has come on leaps and bounds in the last 2 years as well.

Cannonadale do great bikes right through the ranges too. The CAAD 12 and Supersix are fantastic bikes
  • INPTT
    INPTT Posts: 16
    I only have experince on specialized bikes, but they are all great!
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    rubertoe wrote:
    iwilldoit wrote:
    Hi All.

Stick with this - Both are great; although i'd imagine that the Btwins are better specced

IMHO, if you are after a budget or strong vfm bike, then you can't go far wrong with BTwin bikes - as long as they fit you.
    When I last checked, the majority of their dimensions had quite a long top tube, which would cause me a problem as I have a shorter than average torso - if you are more standard dimensions yourself, that is unlikely to cause an issue however.
    Sometimes they have sales on.

What kind of budget are you looking at, and do you want the facility of a rack and mudguard potential?
    I would assume yes?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18