Difficulty finding a 17c front wheel

Steve555
Steve555 Posts: 2
edited March 2017 in Road buying advice
I’m looking to upgrade the front wheel on my first road bike, a Boardman Team Carbon, primarily to feel safer. I’ve only ridden hybrids up until now, and prefer the feeling of a wider rim & tyre, especially as I have to use some busy roads with a poor surface. Having researched and got some opinions, I want to go from the current 700 x 15c - 25mm tyres, to 17c - 28mm tyres.

Two questions…
I’ve found the Fulcrum Racing Quattros, and Campagnolo Zonda C17, both 17c, any recommendations for others? It’s really trick finding them, as many don’t specify 15c/17c in the specs on online sites

Of the two I shortlisted, none of the big online retailers would sell me a front wheel, only the set. Excuse my naivety, but is it possible to buy road bike single wheels? What happens if you break one and need to replace it?

Thanks

Steve

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Nothing stopping you fitting a 28 tyre on your existing 15 rim.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Mavic Aksiums take 28mm no problem
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    As Imposter says, you won't have any issues in putting a 28c on your current rim, it MAY be slightly more light bulby than on a wider one.

But, there are some other issues.

The first is, can your frame fit a 28c tyre in there? Many racing frames are only good for 25c tyres and lack the clearance.

The second is, why change only the front? Grip is from both wheels and, good luck finding single fronts of either wheel stated.

The third is, perception, there's not necessarily any more grip between a 23c or 28c tyre due to contact area. The compound is likely to offer more/less grip than the width of it.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Yepp, I would start by looking at the tyre and pressure. If the OP is running something decent (?) then a common newbie error is to pump it up to make it rock hard.
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    I've put some 28c Vittoria Zaffiro's on my Boardman team carbon winter/turbo bike, no clearance issues.