New Commuter bike

Zalamdk
Zalamdk Posts: 7
edited March 2017 in Commuting general
I am in the market for a new commuter bike, - as I plan to bike to work during spring/summer (about 14km each way = total 28km)

However it is rather difficult to find the right one, and its hard for me (with little knowledge) to evaluate what would be the right bike.

I have the following requirements:

1) Tires broader than a racer (35mm would be good)
2) Hydraulic disc brakes
3) Relatively fast
4) Ability to take it for a "training" tour once in a while

I have looked at the following bikes:

- Cube SL Road Race
- Canyon Urban 7.0 SL (chain version)
- Canyon Hyde Race

Currently I am mostly hooked on the Cube SL road race, as it provides a nice hybrid between an MTB and a Road racer, which make me belive it is reasonably fast? However I must admit I am quite in love with the looks of the Canyon, but I am not sure the canyon would be ideal for such a long commute - as it seems like its more of a city commuter.

I am very open to other suggestions but my budget is about £1000

Comments

• imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Bikes are so personal it is had to give a good set of advice. But some things are universal - try them before you buy! Also do not rule out the less fashionable places - Boardman and own brand at halfords have some great bargains for less than a 1000, Decathlon and BTwin are also somewhere to try.

I have never bought either brand so cannot comment on quality - although I have seen quite a few posts complaining about Canyon and delivery times.

For 1000 pounds you can get a superb bike (I might be thinking GT Grade Alu) - worth spending some serious time researching before splashing a serious amount of cash. Also make sure you catch sale prices
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I ride something very similar to the Cube
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXLRDFLA ... -road-bike
    Mine is the 'Zesty Lime' (green) colour and I bought it as a frameset so its not to the OE spec, fairly light, very comfy and very snappy feeling to ride, you could swap on Hydraulics for not much money.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Zalamdk
    Zalamdk Posts: 7
    Thank you for the feedback,

I am based in Denmark which means boardman is quite difficult to come by, theres only a few retailers, most of which are based in the country side.

I have looked at GT Grade 105, and found a reasoable offer at cycleshop, however I am not fond of the TR/HY brakes, and would prefer some "real" hydraulic brakes.