MTB Fully e-bike?

2fish
2fish Posts: 14
edited March 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi.

I can't decide between these two bikes:

http://www.ktm-bikes.at/en/bikes/e-bike ... b74bee08d5

https://www.cube.eu/en/2017/e-bike-full ... llow-2017/

I can get both for roughly the same price.
I would say I ride 50% on gravel, 40% on tarmac and 10% offroad.

If anyone can point out something that could be important on any model, or suggest a similar model?

Comments

• 2fish
    Thanx, I looked at Giant and Scott models but those are in different price range.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    TBH if you're only 10% off road I'd question the need for full suspension. The battery would last longer on a decent hardtail as there would be less weight to lug around.

I've got no issues with e-bikes, I'd love a really Agressive Full Suss so I could be a cheapskate and not pay for uplifts :lol:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • 2fish
    Well I want the full suspension, cause it's nice to have, and I don't really need all the power of the battery.
    And I want/need the e part just to help me get to the places I could not get otherwise.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Much of a muchness between them to be honest, same fork, similar components and the same e-drive unit.

On that basis I'd take the lightest (assuming the KTM really is lightest).

I ride colleague has the Cube and its proven very good (had it about a year now) apart from a few broken rear spokes, but then it is 50lb of bike with 14 stone atop it (he's a builder by trade so has the strength to cope with the weight but he has a heart condition hence the e-bike).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 2fish
    Thank you for your comment The Rookie. By the specs Cube is 0.4kg lighter.
    The main difference I see is the wheel size. Is 29" too much?
  • The Rookie
    Specs on the KTM says 21.5 and the cube 22.4KG?

the bigger the wheel the better when you are just rolling along, not sure what you mean by 'too much'?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 2fish
    The Rookie wrote:
    Specs on the KTM says 21.5 and the cube 22.4KG?

the bigger the wheel the better when you are just rolling along, not sure what you mean by 'too much'?

So sorry. I put up the wrong URL for the KTM. This is the right one:

http://www.ktm-bikes.at/en/bikes/e-bike ... f99e14fc61

It is more or less the same.... with some improvements...

By "to big", I meant: hard to navigate on a more rocky terrain. I am sure there is a limit when bigger is not better anymore.
  • The Rookie
    Plenty of people ride 29ers on rocky terrain, a lot of people I ride with have 29ers although personally I'd take a 27.5 as I prefer the more nimble feeling of a smaller wheel (it's the unquantifiable 'fun' aspect).

Really is nothing between them so pic the one that feels nicer to ride FOR YOU, or just looks nicer!
  • 2fish
    Thanx :). Now leaning towards Cube
  • 2fish
    Did anyone find the ratio between pedal RPM and sprocket RPM for Bosch CX drive?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Why would they?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 2fish
    cooldad wrote:
    Why would they?
    I would like to calculate the speed based on cadence.
  • cooldad
    So find it out. Why would anyone else have done it for you.

Don't be lazy.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • 2fish
    :)
    I have been searching for hours now... that's why I finally ask here. Maybe someone has more info than google
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Where does an E bike get you to that leg power can't ?
  • 2fish
    Always a fair amount further than my leg power can... I would say that would be logical since it has half a kilowatt hour of extra energy.
  • cooldad
    So email Bosch, or the bike shop selling them, or the manufacturer.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Fenix wrote:
    Where does an E bike get you to that leg power can't ?
    When I'm old and can't pedal for turd anymore, I'll get an e-bike. It still gives you the cardio and allows you to enjoy the terrain just as much, often even more.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    2fish wrote:
    Always a fair amount further than my leg power can... I would say that would be logical since it has half a kilowatt hour of extra energy.

The ebikes that I've seen haven't got fantastic range. And your range gets better with training anyway - so save the cash and get a lighter bike ? Simple !

I reserve the right to have a sneaky internal engine fitted to my bike when I'm like 80 or something though.
  • 2fish
    Fenix wrote:
    I reserve the right to have a sneaky internal engine fitted to my bike when I'm like 80 or something though.

What makes you think I'm not there yet?
  • 2fish
    2fish wrote:
    Did anyone find the ratio between pedal RPM and sprocket RPM for Bosch CX drive?
    cooldad wrote:
    So find it out. Why would anyone else have done it for you.

Don't be lazy.
    And I did. On a much more e-bike friendly forum. :? It's 2.5, in case someone else is looking for it.
  • 2fish
    To conclude this topic. I bought the Cube. Mainly because it is cheaper, lighter and 29".
    I went for a few test rides, and it is great. A lot of torque in lower gears, and easy pedaling at higher speeds. Exactly what I am looking for.

Thank you to those who gave me some useful advice!
  • By the time I actually get old, I expect the capacity of batteries and therefore the range of these things will be much better. If videogames are to be believed, it'll be a case of simply replacing the power core every five months or so. And the beast will be lighter than my current XC bike. And in case I get bored of riding, I'll activate the flight mode and haul my ass back home.
  • cooldad
    Looks like joshjevans is AWOL.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools