Endurance frameset without discs

dstev55
dstev55 Posts: 742
edited March 2017 in Road buying advice
I think I am finally admitting defeating in riding a road bike that is considered even remotely aggressive. I suffer with lower back pain and yesterday it was hurting after just 20 odd miles which is ridiculous.

I ride a Focus Cayo through the summer (don't be put off by the "sportive bike" tag and look, it's more aggressive than some "race" bikes). I've had a proper bike fit and even they said the bike probably isn't ideal for me. I'm thinking of buying a new frameset of the "endurance/sportive" type however as it will be my Summer bike I don't want discs (please don't turn this in to an advantages of discs thread). I will transfer my predominantly Dura-Ace groupset over to the new frameset. In all honesty though, there isn't that much about. Most manufacturers seem to only offer their endurance bikes as disc only which is a shame. The only new frameset I can really see that isn't disc is the Trek Domane SLR which looks nice but I'm not 100% convinced over all the comfort tech on it, tho reviews read favourably. I don't mind buying second hand but it would have to be mint.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    I would not expect miracles from a frame geometry. There must be something more fundamentally wrong with your back or your position on the bike. Those are the areas to concentrate on, rather than a new bike
    left the forum March 2023
  • Just looking at the geometry (I've been doing my own research into endurance bikes) the stack to reach ratio on the Cayo does look pretty aggressive although flipping and shortening your stem may help. Domane has one of the most relaxed ratios I've been able to find although it's not consistent across frame sizes.
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    I had a Focus Izalco and was having lots of bak problems - its a very aggressive geo and unforgiving ride.
    In the end I was getting a really sore back 30 mins into the ride which was just no good.

I tried lots of different bikes, and eventually ended up on a Domane 5 series - I couldn't believe the difference.
    Although geo plays some part due to the higher front end, the carpet like ride has to be felt to be believed....I'm convinced this also helps the back....and everything else - its a very plush ride.

I had my 5 series stolen and replaced it with a 6 series frameset which I built up with 105.
    I've had it now for over a year and use it every day - I've got so comfortable on it that I slammed the stem and I can still come back from 4 hours with a smile on my face (well, no back pain anyway....).

For me its the perfect balance of comfort and speed - the 6 series frame is light and it feels very responsive - if you're using Dura Ace you could make it into a very nice build indeed.

I don't know where you're based, but when I originally bought the 5 series Domane, Cycles UK gave me an extended test ride and fitted me to the bike - you really do have to try one for yourself to experience the comfort.

Best of luck whatever you go for.
  • drwae
    drwae Posts: 223
    I have an endurance bike with rim brakes, it's a Cannondale Synapse
  • dstev55
    bsharp77 wrote:
    I had a Focus Izalco and was having lots of bak problems - its a very aggressive geo and unforgiving ride.
    In the end I was getting a really sore back 30 mins into the ride which was just no good.

I tried lots of different bikes, and eventually ended up on a Domane 5 series - I couldn't believe the difference.
    Although geo plays some part due to the higher front end, the carpet like ride has to be felt to be believed....I'm convinced this also helps the back....and everything else - its a very plush ride.

I had my 5 series stolen and replaced it with a 6 series frameset which I built up with 105.
    I've had it now for over a year and use it every day - I've got so comfortable on it that I slammed the stem and I can still come back from 4 hours with a smile on my face (well, no back pain anyway....).

For me its the perfect balance of comfort and speed - the 6 series frame is light and it feels very responsive - if you're using Dura Ace you could make it into a very nice build indeed.

I don't know where you're based, but when I originally bought the 5 series Domane, Cycles UK gave me an extended test ride and fitted me to the bike - you really do have to try one for yourself to experience the comfort.

Best of luck whatever you go for.

Thank you for such a detailed reply, I think im in a very similar position what you were at the moment.
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    Take a look at the Bianchi Infinito CV. I tested both the Domane and Bianchi and liked both but the Bianchi felt sharper and much racier than the Trek whilst still offering the same levels of comfort. In the end I bought both but opted for the Domane SL8 rather than the SLR as the Trek will be a winter bike. I bought the base Ultegra Bianchi and will transfer Dura-Ace groupset from the Trek onto it when it arrives. I also moved up a size in both bikes (56 Trek and 55 Bianchi) up from a 54 Specialized Tarmac.

Cheers
    Paul
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    All the domane come without disc options, the sir, sl and s. I've just bought the sl disc and it's nuts.

I know you said not to turn it into a disc debate, but like you I had some nice rim calliper specific stuff hanging around and so it was a real dilemma whether to go disc. In the end, no regrets, discs are a win in this type of bike,
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    chrisw12 wrote:
    All the domane come without disc options, the sir, sl and s. I've just bought the sl disc and it's nuts.

I know you said not to turn it into a disc debate, but like you I had some nice rim calliper specific stuff hanging around and so it was a real dilemma whether to go disc. In the end, no regrets, discs are a win in this type of bike,

Apart from being considerably heavier than the non disc versions.
  • grahamcp
    grahamcp Posts: 323
    I've been contemplating a similar conundrum OP, although I've mainly been looking at complete bikes. It's almost like I'm being forced down the discs route to get the geometry I'd like (I have shimano hydraulics on one bike and do like them, but for my new summer best I was planning on staying old fashioned).

Have you looked at Cervelo at all? By all accounts great frames and I was quite surprised that the geometries I looked at seemed "endurance" focused.

I suppose in your case it depends on the cause of the back pain. Do you think it is down to the position alone, or might you benefit from other decisions to smooth out the ride - e.g. frame material (Ti?) / slightly bigger volume tyres?
  • dstev55
    Grahamcp wrote:
    I've been contemplating a similar conundrum OP, although I've mainly been looking at complete bikes. It's almost like I'm being forced down the discs route to get the geometry I'd like (I have shimano hydraulics on one bike and do like them, but for my new summer best I was planning on staying old fashioned).

Have you looked at Cervelo at all? By all accounts great frames and I was quite surprised that the geometries I looked at seemed "endurance" focused.

I suppose in your case it depends on the cause of the back pain. Do you think it is down to the position alone, or might you benefit from other decisions to smooth out the ride - e.g. frame material (Ti?) / slightly bigger volume tyres?

I'm not sure in all honesty but I think it's a combination of a few things namely bike position, ride quality / comfort and my fitness levels. Ti is out of the question for me as I'm a keen climber and I wouldn't be satisfied with the extra weight regardless of whether it actually makes a differance. I must say, I think im warming to the new Domane SLR. I would get the best of both worlds in terms of riding position and comfort plus according to reviews you don't lose much in outright speed.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Grahamcp's shout re the Cervelo could be on the money.

Cervelo R2 frameset advertised in the classifieds that I was kind of interested in. Had a check on the geometry and found the stack and reach figure make it way more relaxed that my current PX Pro Carbon - and I find that very comfortable

viewtopic.php?f=40091&t=13077091

Check it out anyway - the frame on offer is a 56 - might not suit you but the geo could be worth considering in a size to suit you.
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    While trying to get a bike that suited, I bought an R3 with this in mind and just didn't like it at all.
    Not especially light and to me the ride wasn't very exciting or engaging....I just didn't get the hype.

The Domane actually feels like a much more engaging ride to me - and if you're thinking about the new Domanes, then you have the option to alter the stiffness as you see fit - something I would absolutely love to try.

But if you can - try them all....'tis only my opinion after all! :)
  • dstev55
    The R series Cervelo are surprisingly relaxed in geometry but still not as relaxed as a Domane. Plus there is no comfort technology so to speak of. Plus my mates just bought an R5 so I wouldn't get away with that :lol:
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    For what it's worth, my vote also goes to a Synapse. I've got the carbon ultegra version with rim brakes and find it brilliantly comfortable, even with my very dodgy back. Before I bought it, I tested, amongst others, a Focus izalco Ergoride and a Cervelo R3 but neither felt as good for me personally as the Cannondale. Swapping the saddle to a Fizik Antares has made it even better. I also had the use of a Domane for a few days last year and that was pretty good but I was pleased to go back my Synapse.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • ben-----
    ben----- Posts: 573
    Van Nicholas Yukon seems appropriate? Also Enigma Etape?
  • dstev55
    ben----- wrote:
    Van Nicholas Yukon seems appropriate? Also Enigma Etape?

Van Nicholas very inappropriate - titanium (which I don't want) and pretty much as aggressive as my Cayo.
    And again the Enigma is titanium.

I'm test riding a Domane SLR on Saturday so I'll let you all know how I get on :-)