BB needs replacing?? Advice please

Wilson100
Wilson100 Posts: 8
edited March 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi again all,

So during this winter during heavy pedaling (Through mud/ up slopes etc) I have started to feel a slight grinding comming through the pedals. It does not happen at the start of the ride it seems only when the bike is dirty. So I have removed the cranks cleaned and greased and put back together and did not notice any massive issues (yet to take it out since finishing tonight).

However after checking online I noticed my bb seems a bit cheap, SRAM, PF30, OS press-in bearings, sealed cartridge.

This made me wonder if any bad feeling is comming through that and I have no idea how easy it is to remove and re-grease.

I have a 2016 Specialized enduro comp and was looking for a BB upgrade i am awful at part fittings so was wondering if people could suggest an upgrade to the one fitted. Or at least if they could tell me how I can tell the size so I can go out and shop myself. Thanks.

Comments

• JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    My SRAM PF30 gave up after a short time, did some reading and although they are cheap they don't last long. Hope do a replacement, I went with a WheelsManufacturing bottom bracket, now when it wears out I just replace the bearings which cost about £15 and take 10 mins to do. Takes 2 x 6806 bearings.
  • Could you chuck me a link to the hope BB that will fit? When it comes to technial things im like a grandad tying to work a mac :D How do you measure them, length teeth width?

I looked at the hope BB on tredz and seemed cheap but no reviews on them,
    I figure the same a cheap BB and after a hard winter i guess it has given up. My local BS were useful before so all being lost ill dump it down there and pick the mechanics brains for sizings and stuff. We all got to learn once i guess?

Thanks for the quick reply
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Google Hope PF30 bottom bracket, pretty sure you'll need a tool to fit it as it has to be pressed in, check Parktools website for fitting instructions.
  • Awesome thanks