Can I ride with the QR skewer that came with my Turbo?

I bought a Jet Black M5 magnetic trainer that came with its own QR skewer for the rear wheel, which has a shaper better suited to the axle holders on the trainer. It's use is "highly recommended" by the manufacturer, so I duly fitted it and it works fine.

My question is this: is it safe to use this skewer to actual ride the bike on the roads or trails?

It looks reasonably solid, but has a finer locking lever than the bike's own skewer (Giant MTB).

Is there much load on the Skewer, and is strength critical in this area? Or is it just applying force to keep the wheeler aligned with the stays?

Thanks!

John.

Comments

• 1000x yes!

will be same spec just ends better fit turbo. EOS!.
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    Yep you can buy loads of different types purely for aesthetics.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Seriously?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Seriously?

Apparently so...
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Yes. It will probably be stronger than the skewer that came with the bike (as turbos put more stress through the skewer). Just, as with any skewer, make sure it's done up tight enough.
  • Seriously?

Yes, it was a serious question :-) I'm a newbie and wouldn't want to just make assumptions for something that has a safety implication. I really don't know how much force gets applied to the skewer, and the idea of having a sub-standard component that holds the wheel on is what led to my question.

The original Giant skewer has a much more robust locking lever, so I was wondering whether the more flimsy lever on the turbo skewer would be up to the job.

The consensus seems to be that I should not worry about it - presuming it is tightened up!

John
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Turbo-specific skewers are more heavy duty than the average skewer supplied with a wheel.

I use an old school Shimano boat anchor one. Which was once fitted on one of my bikes.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/